Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing an IPA with 25 Strains of Yeast  (Read 1117 times)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Brewing an IPA with 25 Strains of Yeast
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:43:36 am »
I got a chance to brew a beer using a Frankenyeast blend of 25 yeast strains, and decided to go with a fruity IPA.  Full blog entry is here, but the result was crazy, unique, delicious.  Just an absolute melon bomb... and the most opaque beer I believe I've ever seen, stouts included.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Brewing an IPA with 25 Strains of Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:15:44 pm »
I can't remember who off the top of my head, but someone did this last year at NHC San Diego.  They made a beer with 99 yeasts.  I think it was supposed to be every yeast available from Wyeast or White Labs (or both?).

If I recall they made a stout with it, so something already pretty flavorful.  Possibly also something lighter like a pale ale? I was expecting it to be super fruity esters from all the belgian and english yeasts but it was really unremarkable.  I think once you get to that point, so many of the things have different temp ranges and likes and dislikes that you're not really getting "everything" from each yeast strain.  One or two that are in their ideal ranges will dominate the rest of them.  Pretty impressive attempt though. 

I like fruity IPAs so your brew sounds right up my alley.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Re: Brewing an IPA with 25 Strains of Yeast
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:18 pm »
I fully expected for just a couple of the strains to present as dominant, due to their growth rates, their "happy spot" in temperature, etc.  Regardless, the end result was pretty darned cool.