Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Igloo 5 gallon tun  (Read 2661 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Igloo 5 gallon tun
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »
Having trouble finding the right false bottom for this cooler. Checked the usual suspects and find several sites that claim to have the one. All I find are either 9" or 12" and larger. A rough measurement t of my new cooler puts diameter at about 10.5". I did find 1 site that sells a kit with bottom, bulkhead, valve, etc but it's like $68 and I only paid $25 for the cooler. Any thoughts or experiences. The cooler is just what I was looking for for 3-3.5 gallon batches AG
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Igloo 5 gallon tun
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:57:51 pm »

Here's what I did with mine (1/2 value setup with the stainless braid), but I batch sparge.  Not sure if I'm any help... I have been enjoying 3 gal. Batch sizes.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:15 pm »

Here's what I did with mine (1/2 value setup with the stainless braid), but I batch sparge.  Not sure if I'm any help... I have been enjoying 3 gal. Batch sizes.

-Tony
I do 3G batches in the same cooler. I also use a braid and batch sparge.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:46 pm »
I've got one that came with Northern Brewers all-grain cooler kit.  I no longer use it.  Private message me if you're interested in getting it from me.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:38:41 pm »
I believe Austin Homebrew Supply has one that fits. I have that same cooler and that's where I bought mine.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

-Tony
Great to know. I thought I remembered reading that braids in the beverage coolers could have problems. So much simpler. Thanks so much!
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:07:49 pm »

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:11:52 pm »
Yes that's the one I referenced that is almost $70 worth of equipment to add to a $25 cooler. I almost ordered it, but am happy to see that I can get by cheaper with a braid
Frank L.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 08:10:17 am »
Braids work great if batch sparging, where you don't have worry about uniform flow of sparge water through your grain bed, which is what the false bottom designs are intended for in the case of fly sparging.  As a batch-sparging convert from fly sparging, I highly recommend going that route.  That's why I have the false bottom laying around...

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:15:55 am »
Yes, I do also batch sparge so a braid it will be. Thanks all, nice to be able to forget about that $70 pile of parts just sitting around unused when I later made this discovery. Like I said, I almost bought it right away and am so glad I came here to ask for thoughts. Yall saved me some money for some other parts, project, etc
Frank L.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »
The only thing I did do differently on the cooler than my 72 quart cooler was to place 4 or 5 garden hose washers on the outside of the pipe nipple that goes through the cooler to provide more stability for the ball valve.  I do remember they were very snug/tight and I even cut the last washer or two to get them on.  I got the idea from the web, if I find the link I'll post it.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 12:27:03 pm »
I like that idea. My original tun was a 50qt coleman that eventually started to have less and less stability on the outside wall from the weight of my valve hanging from it. As it sagged, I would lose my seal on the inside of the wall, leaking sweet wort inside the walls, causing some mold. What a nightmare that became.I have now alleviated that after finally tracking down a valve similar to what Denny says to use. For some reason that little bugger was the hardest piece for me to find for my first build
Frank L.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:43:35 pm »
Check out Phil's Phalse Bottom.
http://listermannbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/12_Bottom.pdf
My LBHS (at the time...now sadly gone) gifted me with one of these nearly 25 years ago (for referring so many brewers to their store) and I have been using it ever since.  It works fantastically well in the Igloo/Rubbermade round vessels.  I modifies my linkages to using a stainless steel spigot, but either way, it works beautifully.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tommymorris

Igloo 5 gallon tun
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 04:15:15 pm »
Are false bottoms harder to get clean?

Offline 69franx

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »
Thanks Professor,  I need to stop at Listermann's anyways for supplies, I'll see what they have.
Frank L.