Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite hidden gem  (Read 6373 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: What's your favorite hidden gem
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 06:44:14 pm »
A few thoughts:

I'm a sucker for Capital Autumnal Fire, which is sort of like a big malty cross between an Oktoberfest and a doppelbock.

Here's another one for you..... Gordon Biersch.  Yes, the big chain.  Talk about fantastic German lagers, man...... I'll have a beer with you there anytime.

Love me some Autumnal Fire.  The blonde doppelbock I had from them was tasty too.

Had a very good Kolsch in a GB sampler not long ago.  Still trying to find bottles of that Golden Export of theirs I had on tap out in the bay area a few years back. 

...ever had Metropolitan's lagers?  I hear pretty good things; thinking of making a stop next time I'm in Chicago.
Love Capital's lagers. All of them. Supper Club and the Amber are frequent purchases. Metropolitan is indeed a great brewery. I recommend the Dopplebock and Alt.
Kyle M.

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 10:26:49 am »
Metropolitan is should also be on my list, Pipeworks and revolution get all of the shine in this area but for what Metropolitan does they do a superb job. More to beer then just hops and throwing the produce isle at the fermenter.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 06:39:13 pm »
this may have already been done but I was thinking last night, it seems as if an hand full of great beers get most of the attention from traders and whale hunters, but I think there are quite a few undiscovered gem out there and are getting ignored. One of my favorites is Schells noble star series. Ive been at bottle shares and it went toe to toe with some Russian river sours and Cascade brewing sours. I think most of the noble star series beers are very well done and underrated simply because they come from a brewery that make some s***ty beers.

I went to college nearby the Schells brewery. My beer palate back then was to mostly put alcohol in my body so I don't remember much of the tours other than they quickly get you to the tasting room and let you go to town on everything on tap for a half hour. Last time I visited the homeland (MN) I got some Schells and was really disappointed with their standard offerings. Definitely going to have to hit up some of their seasonal stuff. For being the second oldest brewery in the US you would think they have to do some things right. =]

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
Schell's yeast strain is derived from the Christian Schmidt Strain.  It is sold as Wyeast 2035 (one of the original Wyeast lager strains).   Wyeast 2035 (originally called "New Ulm Lager") and its parent strain Wyeast 2272 (Christian Schmidt) are both relics from the time before West Coast Lager (rice as the adjunct) displaced East Coast Lager (corn as the adjunct) in the United States.  Traditional East Coast-style lager is a more flavor positive beer than West Coast-style lager.  In fact, the beer is every bit as enjoyable as all malt lager.  One of the reasons why Yuengling Traditional Lager tastes better than Budweiser is because Yuengling Traditional Lager is East Coast-style lager.  Budweiser is West Coast-style lager.  The best part is that Yuengling Traditional Lager is cheaper than Budweiser.  Now, that's what I call a hidden gem.

A few shots from the Yuengling Brewery

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:43:03 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 05:36:54 am »
Funny, I did my undergrad a few miles away from the second oldest brewery in the US and then did my graduate work relatively close to the oldest brewery in the US. You are right Mark, Yuengling is a highly drinkable lager that blows any BMC out of the water at the same price point. Had my first one in over five years while at a wedding on the eastern shore over the summer. Damn was it tasty and brought back a lot of memories of nights out with friends in DC during grad school. Thanks for posting those pictures.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:26 am »
Here's another one for you..... Gordon Biersch.  Yes, the big chain.  Talk about fantastic German lagers, man...... I'll have a beer with you there anytime.

I like several of their beers. My wife and I used to hit their brewpub here on a regular basis although it's a bit of a haul from our house. The service started to go downhill and the menu changed to take away all our favorites in favor of a more generic menu. I rarely open the emails I get from them but when I do I always see them talking about brewing IPAs and other beers clearly deviating away from their focus on German beers (plus the Czech pilsner). I might have to get a growler of winterbrau next time I'm in the area.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 02:21:30 pm »
I have to say Smoky Mountain Brewery, I get as much as my wife will let me take out of there every time we go to Gatlinburg, TN.  It is a good time to stop by in the afternoon, drink a few and go through the shops with the Mrs.  My personal favs are the Cherokee Red Ale and Tuckaleechee Porter.  Very solid beers.  All the years I have been stopping through Gatlinburg the brews never disappoint me.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »
Get me some Fullers ESB..... 8) (i know wrong continent)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 03:35:47 pm »
I recently stumbled on a sixpack of Stegmaier Porter (Pennsylvania)...I was surprised to see it, since the last time I had it was more than 40 years ago.  These days it's brewed at The Lion in Wilkes Barre, PA...and it's fantastic (and a real bargain, too).  It's 'chewier' than the other famous PA porter (from Yuengling) and quite nice.
I actually prefer the old timey PA porters from these two brewers over most craft brewer porters (except perhaps for Anchor Porter...which is still a real gem).
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 04:13:55 pm »
(except perhaps for Anchor Porter...which is still a real gem).

I still love that stuff, too. Very tasty beer.
Jon H.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »
I've been really impressed by the beers from Six Rivers Brewing out of McKinleyville, CA (Northern coast).

They have a Raspberry Lambic (ish) that I really enjoy, and a 'double IPA' called Sasquatch, that is amazing. I get so much salted caramel out of it, that I have a hard time thinking of it as a DIPA, it's one of the best beers I've had. I really need to plan a trip up that way to try more of their offerings.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 03:09:25 am »
I'm not sure if they've made it across the Atlantic, but lately I've been enjoying beers from a brewery called Magic Rock in Huddersfield (West Yorkshire).  The only one I've not been a fan of has been their IIPA, Human Cannonball, which I found a little too bitter for my taste (although it smelt amazing).
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 05:50:42 pm »
Woinemer Hausbrauerie. http://www.woinemer-brauerei.de/

I've spent many an evening there back when the wall came down. Great beers and great food.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:52:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 09:07:03 am »
I love the Brown Ales from Carson's Brewery in Evansville, Indiana.

Brown Cow

Buzzed Cow- their Brown Cow infused with coffee.

Vanilla Brown Coffee.

All are 5% ABV and taste fantastic in the taproom.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!