Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rolling boil?  (Read 12004 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: rolling boil?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:34 am »
I don't have a strong opinion about which boiling level is correct, but since there has always been so much confusion over nomenclature, I decided to make a reference guide so that everyone can be on the same page when talking about what their boils look like and/or what boil level is being suggested. I ran the video by Jamil Zainasheff and he said that this is how he would classify them.

Levels of Boiling Wort – A Visual Reference for Homebrewers:
http://obsessedbrewing.com/levels-of-boiling-wort-a-visual-reference-for-homebrewers/

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for sharing that.  It was really cool watching the transitions. If the video was just a bit longer you would have had me hypnotized. Yes....master..... ;D

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2016, 09:24:35 am »
I don't have a strong opinion about which boiling level is correct, but since there has always been so much confusion over nomenclature, I decided to make a reference guide so that everyone can be on the same page when talking about what their boils look like and/or what boil level is being suggested. I ran the video by Jamil Zainasheff and he said that this is how he would classify them.

Levels of Boiling Wort – A Visual Reference for Homebrewers:
http://obsessedbrewing.com/levels-of-boiling-wort-a-visual-reference-for-homebrewers/

Hope this is helpful!

I hereby nominate this for Best First Post Ever.  FWIW, though, another prevention method is to use something like Fermcap-S to break up the surface tension.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 10:40:53 am »
A spray bottle set to mist works well to prevent boil overs as well.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2016, 10:53:30 am »
A spray bottle set to mist works well to prevent boil overs as well.

That was one of the suggestions on the list from what I recall.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:15 am »
Didn't notice that. I've been avoiding fermcap-s due to the manufacture notes saying it should be filtered out. I've never been able to source fermcap-at which does not require filtering in small amounts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2016, 12:01:43 pm »
Didn't notice that. I've been avoiding fermcap-s due to the manufacture notes saying it should be filtered out. I've never been able to source fermcap-at which does not require filtering in small amounts.

I bought a qt. of AT just before I decided to stop using it in any form.  I'm not even using it for starters any longer.  Since I'm only making 1 qt. starters in a 6 qt. pot it's not necessary.  And I use a spray bottle for the kettle if needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2016, 12:06:13 pm »

Fermcap needs to be filtered?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
fermcap-s is supposed to be filtered. I have read that the quantities we use it are within an acceptable range to not be filtered. I don't "need" to use it, so I just avoid it as Denny mentioned.

fermcap-at does not need to be filtered. I think it is vegetable based versus plastic based.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2016, 12:45:46 pm »

Fermcap needs to be filtered?
Not exactly. As a food additive FDA requires less than 10ppm concentration in food packaged for sale. For a pro brewer, filtering would assure that without needing to test its concentration.

For a homebrewer there is absolutely zero concern. It is the same ingredient as the active ingredient in Gas-X, and present in way lower amounts in beer when used as recommended. In all likelihood, it is all falling out in the trub, anyways. Plus, the stuff is completely innocuous. Your body doesn't absorb it and it passes right through you.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:11 pm »
fermcap-s is supposed to be filtered. I have read that the quantities we use it are within an acceptable range to not be filtered. I don't "need" to use it, so I just avoid it as Denny mentioned.

fermcap-at does not need to be filtered. I think it is vegetable based versus plastic based.

I believe all 3 use some silicone including the Birko product that started that particular debate.  According to the FDA, their allowable concentration is 10ppm (but they also have allowable concentrations of bug or rodent parts, so take that with a grain of salt ;) ).  The manufacturer recommends filtration or centrifuging to ensure that it doesn't have anywhere near that.  In a homebrew setting, the numbers have been calculated to be significantly under the 10ppm anyway.  And most of that gets adsorbed by the yeast cells and trub and settles out.

Silicone FUD is like GMO FUD.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/probiotics-are-useless-gmos-are-fine-and-gluten-is-necessary-nutrition-science-fads-debunked

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2016, 02:08:46 pm »
Silicone FUD is like GMO FUD.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/probiotics-are-useless-gmos-are-fine-and-gluten-is-necessary-nutrition-science-fads-debunked

100% agree. Anti-GMO and pro-"Organic/All-Natural" are fads / movements. There's no good science behind either of them.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2016, 02:14:30 pm »
If your kidneys shut down, you've used too much. 
I've heard this debate on several threads and just decided if some is ok then none is better.  Yes, I toggle the heat when I start my boil.  Yes, I use a pot large enough to boil starter wort (I did have to stop using my erlenmeyer), and yes I need to use a blowoff tube. 
The bottom line is I like adding as few chemicals and outside substances to my beer as possible. 
"Water, yeast, barley and hops" sounds better than "water, yeast, barley, hops and Fermcap-S."

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
I'm far more likely to die from the ethanol in my beer than I am any trace FermCap-S (or residual plastics from the mashtun and fermenters).

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »
We should all probably stop using star san solutions, iodophor solutions, bleach solutions, peracetic acid solutions, Irish moss, whirfloc, yeast nutrient and Brewtan-B and all the common brewing salts if this is our standard and these concentration levels scare us.  ;)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »
We should all probably stop using star san solutions, iodophor solutions, bleach solutions, peracetic acid solutions, Irish moss, whirfloc, yeast nutrient and Brewtan-B and all the common brewing salts if this is our standard and these concentration levels scare us.  ;)

We do add a lot of chemicals, don't we?