Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rolling boil?  (Read 11978 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: rolling boil?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »
We should all probably stop using star san solutions, iodophor solutions, bleach solutions, peracetic acid solutions, Irish moss, whirfloc, yeast nutrient and Brewtan-B and all the common brewing salts if this is our standard and these concentration levels scare us.  ;)

We do add a lot of chemicals, don't we?

Yeah, for sure. The toxicology presentation at last year's NHC definitely eased any concerns I had. The alcohol is the main toxin. Not ingesting too much of it can be a challenge sometimes.   :)
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2016, 03:15:50 pm »
We should all probably stop using star san solutions, iodophor solutions, bleach solutions, peracetic acid solutions, Irish moss, whirfloc, yeast nutrient and Brewtan-B and all the common brewing salts if this is our standard and these concentration levels scare us.  ;)

We do add a lot of chemicals, don't we?

Yeah, for sure. The toxicology presentation at last year's NHC definitely eased any concerns I had. The alcohol is the main toxin. Not ingesting too much of it can be a challenge sometimes.   :)

Yep, I suspect my silicone content in the finished beer is significantly less than 5ppm (and most likely less than 1ppm), but I know for a fact my ethanol percentage by volume ranges from ~5% to ~15%

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »
It was mostly in jest but is my personal preference.  But we should probably inform others what they're ingesting.  One of these threads was talking of adding trace minerals (the kind that could actually poison you).  So, IMO less is more.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:17:38 pm by JT »