Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grapefruit puree  (Read 2045 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grapefruit puree
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:59:52 am »
Was at my LHBS this weekend, and I noticed they have 3# cannisters of Grapefruit puree. Immediately I thought of grapefruit sculpin (of course) and was curious if anyone has had success with using this in a beer.

My only concern involves the acidity factor from the puree itself.  I obviously wouldn't be adding this until a secondary fermentation, but did not want a "sour/acidic" note from the puree to come through in the base beer style I was planning (IIPA).  Any thoughts, recommendations?

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: Grapefruit puree
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:56:02 am »
I had a sample of my buddies grapefruit IPA recently. I believe he added 2 pureed grapefruits at the end of the boil and then some zest with the dry hops. It turned out really good. The grapefruit character is prominent but melds well with his choice of hops. Apparently the acidity from the grapefruits didn't cause any issues during fermentation.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:02:32 am »
I can't have grapefruit because of a medication I take, but if I brewed one I would mash at a slightly higher pH (5.5 ?) to account for the acidity of the grapefruit added to secondary. Not sure what final pH would work out to in a beer like this. Mashing @ higher pH (like 5.5) may not be necessary, but no harm done either.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:19 am »
I just bottled a beer where I juiced 2 grapefruits froze that for 48 hrs then threw into the fermentor after primary was complete I also added the zest from the two at the same time. I thought the flavor would have been stronger but I liked it (before carb) We will see in a few weeks I have high hopes.
Jimmykx250

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:44:58 am »
so maybe a combo of the 3# of puree along with some zest might get me there. Still on the fence about splitting this IIPA though. If it comes out good, I may not want to mess further with it.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:04 am »
I recently added 2 whole grapefruits that I ran through a macerating juicer (thus collecting juice plus the oils from the rind) in secondary of an iPA that was all centennial and cascade, which blend well with grapefruit. I thought it had better grapefruit character than Grapefruit Sculpin, which I consider to be perfumy. I also added some grapefruit zest and hops in a tea ball in the keg.
It was one of the beers I made for the swap. Eric reviewed it here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26129.180
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.