Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactobacillius b slurry storage?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Lactobacillius b slurry storage?
« on: June 07, 2016, 05:44:32 pm »
Any suggestions on a healthy pitch of Wyeast 5335 slurry storage. it's in a mason jar with wort of PH at 3.5 in the fridge. Just thought i remember reading once that its not ideal to store yeast of this nature under such low PH range.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Lactobacillius b slurry storage?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:07 pm »
I've only used lacto once and didn't store it, so all I can offer is a link. http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/03/maintaining-brett-and-lacto-cultures.html?m=1

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:19:31 am »
Any suggestions on a healthy pitch of Wyeast 5335 slurry storage. it's in a mason jar with wort of PH at 3.5 in the fridge. Just thought i remember reading once that its not ideal to store yeast of this nature under such low PH range.

This is a bacteria not a yeast. You can leave this storing at room temps, but are going to want to release some pressure buildup every so often if it is in a closed jar. If you plan on storing it for a while, then you also may want to consider decanting the spent wort and feeding the bacteria maybe 1x per month.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:58 am »
Lacto is fine to store in the fridge. Typically when you buy lacto sources that are not freeze dried (i.e. in dry pill form) they are refrigerated. Lacto is widely present in nature so it survives at room temperature as well. Personally I would store in the fridge but like any culture you might keep for an extended period it will need additional feedings.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:51:10 am »
Lacto is fine to store in the fridge. Typically when you buy lacto sources that are not freeze dried (i.e. in dry pill form) they are refrigerated. Lacto is widely present in nature so it survives at room temperature as well. Personally I would store in the fridge but like any culture you might keep for an extended period it will need additional feedings.

I would think it might also depend on how soon you are going to reuse it.