Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA without dry hopping  (Read 6641 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: APA without dry hopping
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
Edit -  As I said, I haven't rested below 160F, but judging by Marshall's results with the 120F stand I'd feel confident doing that (and plan to do it on my next APA).

Does anyone have a reference to this article/post? Can't seem to find it immediately..
It was an Experimental Brewing IGOR experiment:

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop

Good catch. I had the wrong source.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 03:04:43 am »
Edit -  As I said, I haven't rested below 160F, but judging by Marshall's results with the 120F stand I'd feel confident doing that (and plan to do it on my next APA).

Does anyone have a reference to this article/post? Can't seem to find it immediately..
It was an Experimental Brewing IGOR experiment:

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop

Thanks. Seem to have missed that. Hm, casually reading this does not make me overly enthusiastic. Maybe it's sufficient to cool the wort enough (say 80C) so that the Braumeister does not block the working of the pump.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:39 am »

Here's an experiment we did at EB....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:47 am »
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is not dry hopped. I had to point that out.

IIRC, it's not whirlpool hopped, either, is it?  Just a good old fashioned hop schedule?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:27:29 am »

Here's an experiment we did at EB....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop

Yes, thanks, in the meanwhile I got the reference. What I read is "Tasters seemed to fall fairly evenly on either side of the divide." So maybe I should just toss a coin to choose between 120F and 170F ;)
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 09:29:25 am »

Yes, thanks, in the meanwhile I got the reference. What I read is "Tasters seemed to fall fairly evenly on either side of the divide." So maybe I should just toss a coin to choose between 120F and 170F ;)

We find that on many experiments.  It's why I like the concept of multiple brewers and tasting sessions.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 10:04:15 am »
That or the triangle test is flawed.
Frank P.