Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much crystal?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Too much crystal?
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:44 am »
My lager has been shelved, need to get a beer ready for the 4th. Plan on doing a best bitter:

OG 1.045
93% Maris Otter
5% Crystal 60
2% Chocolate Malt (for color)

Hops:
20 IBU @ 60 min - Fuggles
15 IBU @ 20 min - EKG
5 IBU @ 5 min - EKG

I want this beer to be pretty dry, with a hint of the caramel 60 flavor in the background of this beer. I'll probably mash pretty low, around 150, for 90 min. Should I reduce the crystal malt, or leave as is to build a little more body back into the beer?

I'd much rather continue my experiments with invert syrup in place of crystal malt, but I need to churn out a great beer quickly.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Too much crystal?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:09 am »
For a Bitter that looks fine. The mash, water, and yeast will also influence the perception of dryness.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:14:17 am »
Try to source English Crystal 60 if possible.  I notice a difference between english and american crystal malts (while preferring english ones most of the times).

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:29 am »
Try to source English Crystal 60 if possible.  I notice a difference between english and american crystal malts (while preferring english ones most of the times).

I'd have to check when I get home but I think all I have on hand is American. Might have time to order more, might not.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:21:04 am »

Maybe I should try it again sometime, but I stopped using US crystal malt years ago.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:32 am »

Same here.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 11:09:41 am »

Maybe I should try it again sometime, but I stopped using US crystal malt years ago.

I find the Briess organic C60 to be quite good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »

I have yet to try the organic version. Not sure if my LHBS gets that one.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 04:21:10 am »

I haven't used it in a while, but I did like it quite a bit when I used it. Have you been using that in your American Mild?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:09:44 am »

I haven't used it in a while, but I did like it quite a bit when I used it. Have you been using that in your American Mild?

Yep
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:55 am »
My lager has been shelved, need to get a beer ready for the 4th. Plan on doing a best bitter:

OG 1.045
93% Maris Otter
5% Crystal 60
2% Chocolate Malt (for color)

Hops:
20 IBU @ 60 min - Fuggles
15 IBU @ 20 min - EKG
5 IBU @ 5 min - EKG

I want this beer to be pretty dry, with a hint of the caramel 60 flavor in the background of this beer. I'll probably mash pretty low, around 150, for 90 min. Should I reduce the crystal malt, or leave as is to build a little more body back into the beer?

I'd much rather continue my experiments with invert syrup in place of crystal malt, but I need to churn out a great beer quickly.
I think that's too much chocolate for a best bitter.

I did 94% Pale, 5%  C60, 1% Choc and scored 40 points at NCS regional as a British brown. Similar recipe with 1% pale chocolate got comments "nutty: almost a brown ale" when submitted as a best bitter.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:51 am »
The hope with the chocolate was for color, both Bru'n water and Beersmith estimated the final color to be about 12 SRM. I prefer my bitters on the coppery end of the color spectrum.

I'd wager any nuttiness would more likely be from using MO more than anything else in the grist you listed. Chocolate would provide roast if anything. I've never had a MO bitter of any sort that wasn't at least a little toasty/nutty.