Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Comparison – Pt. 2: Maris Otter vs. Domestic (US) 2-Row | xBmt Results!  (Read 10395 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I think you may be right there, Denny. I saw "Pacific Northwest" on the sack of grain and figured it was their Northwest malt offering (i.e. Northwest Pale Ale malt), but according to NorCal Brewing's website the printing on the front of xBmt's bag matches the plain jane US 2row.  I take back all of my hateful words :D

Believe me, I've used enough GW pale malt that I can recognize it pretty easily.  And can I put in my occasional plea to not refer to malt as "2 row"?  It just isn't very descriptive.  How about pils, pale, pale ale, etc.?  Those are all 2 row, but the names refer to different colors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
I think you may be right there, Denny. I saw "Pacific Northwest" on the sack of grain and figured it was their Northwest malt offering (i.e. Northwest Pale Ale malt), but according to NorCal Brewing's website the printing on the front of xBmt's bag matches the plain jane US 2row.  I take back all of my hateful words :D

Believe me, I've used enough GW pale malt that I can recognize it pretty easily.  And can I put in my occasional plea to not refer to malt as "2 row"?  It just isn't very descriptive.  How about pils, pale, pale ale, etc.?  Those are all 2 row, but the names refer to different colors.
I use 2 row in all of my beers

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
I use 2 row in all of my beers

Yeah, me too. Lots of versions of it.  :)   
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Of late I've become more a fan of munching on the raw grains to see which ones I like the best for a particular recipe, rather than saying "MO is more biscuity, 2-row is more bland", as nothing could be closer to the real truth than just by munching on a couple kernels of each immediately prior to buying or brewing.
I've never brewer with a malt I didn't chew first.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Of late I've become more a fan of munching on the raw grains to see which ones I like the best for a particular recipe, rather than saying "MO is more biscuity, 2-row is more bland", as nothing could be closer to the real truth than just by munching on a couple kernels of each immediately prior to buying or brewing.

Then I am assuming you have not brewed with rye malt, as that s**t will bust your teeth in half!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster

Then I am assuming you have not brewed with rye malt, as that s**t will bust your teeth in half!
I used to chew on wheat straight from the field as a kid. In this case, "chew" doesn't mean you have to make it all the way through ;-)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I'd be interested to see similar experiments comparing malts of similar kilning levels. Briess Pils vs a well-respected continental pils would be good. Pale Ale malt (MO, or otherwise) vs Vienna would be another one. Weyermann floor-malted Pils vs their standard Pils malt. Etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living

Nothing could be further.  I love rye malt.  But yeah, it's quite steely.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Chew some CaraPils, call me from your dentist while you're getting the crown put on. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!