Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rut, but ok with it  (Read 4385 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Rut, but ok with it
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:14:46 pm »
I've gone through various phases in home brewing, and I think I'm in a new one. Maybe its a rut. Maybe its just cruise control. I almost posted my "whats brewing this weekend" bla bla bla. Almost didn't post anything.  Then I decided to post this.

The beer is good. I've got about a dozen recipes I really like. Not really feeling like trying anything new. Still really dig brew day, keeping track of brews, kegging, etc. My fermenters are staying full. So its not burn out. I guess I'm just... cruising a rut for a while. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Ever been there?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Rut, but ok with it
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:33:07 pm »
Not yet, only 3 years in, but I see it as a distinct possibility Jim
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:45:38 am »
I could actually use a rut like that. My problem is that I brew so many beers to try out new ideas. If I hit a couple of misses in a row, or even just mediocre beers, then I have a bunch of kegs full of stuff that I'm not excited to drink. That's when I end up in a rut. I don't get as excited to brew my old standbys, so I often pass them over on brewday to test out a new idea, only to wish I had a keg of Maerzen or ESB instead of the batch I just brewed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:47:15 am »
Anyone else open this thread expecting to see deer pics?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 04:16:00 am »
Anyone else open this thread expecting to see deer pics?
;D
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:05:19 am »
I could actually use a rut like that. My problem is that I brew so many beers to try out new ideas. If I hit a couple of misses in a row, or even just mediocre beers, then I have a bunch of kegs full of stuff that I'm not excited to drink. That's when I end up in a rut. I don't get as excited to brew my old standbys, so I often pass them over on brewday to test out a new idea, only to wish I had a keg of Maerzen or ESB instead of the batch I just brewed.

I have to admit that this is what is fun about commercial brewing for me. I actually enjoy brewing the same recipes over and over again (though I do get more excited about seasonals and one off beers) so the only time I ever pull out my homebrew kettles is when I am doing creative projects.

As far as having kegs of experimental beers 'm not excited about drinking, just dump em. Easy as that. ;)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:15 am »
My rut if you can call it that is tdue to ime. I just always have things to do that are more time sensitive so it's hard to get a brew day in and when I do I am usually under some pressure to get it done quickly. I am trying to arrange to hire someone to help me knock off some big projects at home so I can get past this. In the winter I have a bit more time and knock off some small batches on the stove top.
The other thing that would make me both brew more and look forward to Brew day more is to have a dedicated brewery with a big sink, running hot water, burner, equipment, ingredients etc. In one place. Getting everything outside or cleaning up in a regular kitchen sink just sucks.
EDIT: just noticed that I used the expression"knock off" some batches. That shows the unfortunate mind state of viewing a brew day as something to get through.I need to work on that, this needs to be fun.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:31:16 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 05:58:36 am »

The other thing that would make me both brew more and look forward to Brew day more is to have a dedicated brewery with a big sink, running hot water, burner, equipment, ingredients etc. In one place. Getting everything outside or cleaning up in a regular kitchen sink just sucks.

Amen to the above.  I've got brew gear scattered in several different rooms in the house, plus propane burner and tanks in the garage.  I haul water from the kitchen sink to my brew pot on the concrete patio outside, etc.
Getting everything out and put away adds a lot of extra time.

That said, I love brewing what I want to drink rather than what a commercial brewer thinks will have the most market appeal.

Brew on!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:05:41 am »
Yeah, brew day became a lot more fun for me once I had a dedicated space with my gear always set up.

Jim, I've been in that place for maybe 10 years now.  While sometimes it feels like a rut, mostly it feels like comfort.  Like you, I'm happy with what I'm brewing and I know what and how I like to brew.  Once in a while I'll branch out with a new technique or recipe variation.  But at 18+ years and 500 batches, I'm kinda liking the serenity of my rut.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:13:21 am »
I guess I'm in a rut of sorts, too. I'm not getting to brew as much as I'd like with work/family obligations being larger than before - I'm only keeping beer on 2 or 3 taps lately instead of the full 5. So when I do brew it's been styles and recipes I like the most. Not a bad thing but I'm not experimenting with styles and techniques as much as usual. Still do hop trials though.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:03:14 am »
I wouldn't call it a rut that I'm in. I change up my recipes and process fairly often to keep it somewhat fresh, but I can certainly relate. It kinda sucks when that happens, not being excited to brew. It makes the brew session feel like a chore rather than fun and relaxing, which is what it should be.

But I'd rather brew my own. I stood in the beer isle for 15 minutes yesterday trying to decide what I wanted to buy and ended up walking out empty handed. Just wasn't feeling anything. If I'm in a rut, it's a beer rut, not a brewing rut. Not much lately has sparked my palate and I haven't even been drinking very much. Could be time for some time away from beer altogether, perhaps.

But brewing smaller batches has helped. I don't care if the beer lasts a week in the keg, at least I get to enjoy it and something new gets put on. It's better than like my Belgian dubbel that finally kicked yesterday. It was on tap for nearly 3 months. That's way too long for my preference. And although it was a very tasty beer, I was glad to see it go...

And, Eric, I took this picture of a deer in my neighborhood yesterday. Very bizarre for my neighborhood as it's residential and this one would've had to walk through a good bit of town to get to my area.

Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:51 am »
Most of what drives my brewing is competition based. At least, that is how I treat each and every one of my brew days. As if I am making that beer specifically to be judged by others in a comp. It helps me to know that I tried to produce the very best beer on that very day that I possibly could. With that in mind, it has helped keep me out of a rut, so to speak, for the last 10 years or so. Always trying to master new styles with new recipes.

Occasionally throwing in a "one-off" batch to keep me fresh, which surprisingly are not usually finished (most get dumped as I don't care for how they come out). Specialty beers are not really my thing. This of course keeps me going back to the styles to improve my understanding of their ingredients and process (a lot of which knowledge is gained here).

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:01:22 am »
I prefer the term Plateau. Has a nicer view than a rut.  8)
It's a natural progression.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:14:27 am »
Nothing wrong with having brews you like and not feeling like you need to go beyond them. Sometimes I wish I spent more time dialing in recipes and less time moving from new recipe to new recipe.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 10:07:25 am »
I prefer the term Plateau. Has a nicer view than a rut.  8)
It's a natural progression.

+1 beat me to it.  I have a different take on brewing: I constantly try to simplify the process but still retain same quality.  IE next beer will be 2 hour AG featuring a new 30m boil. 

Jealous of all you, no brewing these days.  Always something in the way...  Luck SOBs  ;D   
Sam
Sandusky, OH