Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 15  (Read 2441 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 15
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:38 am »
As we get ready to head to the NHC, our schedules get a little screwy (we have one more episode before the Wrath of Conn Con)

In feedback we hear about some fun experiences and a nice gesture on the part of a listener. Also we hear from others about Denny and Marshall's recent commentary about skipping over aeration/oxygenation

In the pub, we talk our "plans" for Homebrew Con in Baltimore in June - a live Q&A, a Troubleshooters Corner, Book Signings and more! The Brewers Association gets their history on with one of America's great institutions - The Smithsonian. Denny talks his overwhelming experience at the Craft Brewers Conference. And lastly we ask "Has Craft Beer Gone Too Far?"

In the library we discuss a great article from the Counter Brew website that does a really excellent job laying in the ground work for your knowledge about Brett.

At the lab where we talk the recent obsession with the hazy style called "New England IPA". Specifically we cover the history and the theories behind the style and the infamous, hotly debated murk. And so we're going to launch a full series of explorations, because of course we will. For this first time, we're going to look at yeast impact - namely Wyeast 1056 and Wyeast 1318 in the same wort. Is one murk-tastic? And to back it up, listener Jason Faylor sent in a pair of beers with exactly this same premise so we get our tasting on (and prove that Denny and Drew can really disagree about things)

For the interview segment, we grab some time with John Holl - editor of All About Beer Magazine. We offer him a chance to lay down his opinions and his colorful New Jersey beliefs. It's an interview that exercised Denny's bleeping finger. We think we got them all!

After that, we're off to the books as we try and answer more listener questions.

Denny reminds us all to test your thermometers!

Lastly, Drew fondly explores the world of CorgiOrgy.com and some incredibly sexy Russian cakes.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/default/files/ExperimentalBrewing_Episode_015_AllAboutNewEnglandIPA.mp3
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 15
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:24:33 am »
About 3/4 the way through right now...good stuff.  Even though we all know Denny is not a fan of the NEIPA style (yet :) ), it's nice to hear him keep an open mind.  My biggest gripe about people looking down on them are the ones who say the brewers are putting out a flawed product and not caring about quality.  While this may be true in some cases, for the breweries I frequent in New England, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Also, you guys missed a couple "bleeps" when talking to John Hall.  No big deal for me, but you seemed to be trying to bleep out all the other stuff...except dickhole...lol
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:52 am »
Yeah there were a couple unbleeped f bombs during that segment as well, but it definitely doesn't bother me!

Great show - and just to throw my 2 cents in I think the main reason the uninitiated are opposed to the NEIPA style is because most of them, particularly the best ones are so damn hard to get!  Not many people have tried enough of them or tried them frequently enough to form a solid opinion about them.  They aren't widely distributed if they're distributed at all, and they are really phenomenal only when they're fresh. 

RPIScotty

Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 15
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:50:38 am »
I think the opposition is due to the hype.

The culture/market seems to be packed to the gills with hyped up beers that have a mythos built up around them but ultimately don't deliver. Some of the breweries seem to have perpetuated this while others seem to fall victim to it from the outside in.

I find myself more and more retreating back to beers like SN Pale Ale and many of the staple beers from when I first started drinking good beer and marveling at the simplicity and consistency. This whole soured, barrel-aged, quadruple IPA brewed with baby tears and unicorn horn dust is something that I hope goes away. I gravitate toward simple, sub 9% ABV beers with no BS, no hype and no ulterior motives (intentional or otherwise).

That's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:53:29 am by RPIScotty »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:57 am »
About 3/4 the way through right now...good stuff.  Even though we all know Denny is not a fan of the NEIPA style (yet :) ), it's nice to hear him keep an open mind.  My biggest gripe about people looking down on them are the ones who say the brewers are putting out a flawed product and not caring about quality.  While this may be true in some cases, for the breweries I frequent in New England, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Also, you guys missed a couple "bleeps" when talking to John Hall.  No big deal for me, but you seemed to be trying to bleep out all the other stuff...except dickhole...lol

Yeah, I heard about the bleeps yesterday and went back through.  I think I got them all now.  And we decided "dickhole" was OK.  Arbitrary....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:37:24 am »

The culture/market seems to be packed to the gills with hyped up beers that have a mythos built up around them but ultimately don't deliver. Some of the breweries seem to have perpetuated this while others seem to fall victim to it from the outside in.

I find myself more and more retreating back to beers like SN Pale Ale and many of the staple beers from when I first started drinking good beer and marveling at the simplicity and consistency. This whole soured, barrel-aged, quadruple IPA brewed with baby tears and unicorn horn dust is something that I hope goes away. I gravitate toward simple, sub 9% ABV beers with no BS, no hype and no ulterior motives (intentional or otherwise).

That's just my opinion.

My dislike is based solely on the muted flavors and gritty mouthfeel from the haze.  If you like 'em, great.  There are enough different beers out there for everyone.  What kills me is when someone takes my dislike personally.

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:43:42 am »

That's just my opinion.

My dislike is based solely on the muted flavors and gritty mouthfeel from the haze.  If you like 'em, great.  There are enough different beers out there for everyone.  What kills me is when someone takes my dislike personally.

I think you were pretty clear about that Denny.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:11:53 am »

Yeah, he was. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:58 am »

Yeah, he was. :)

Let me just reiterate....;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:05 pm »
Great episode.  I was especially glad when I saw that it would be long enough to get me through a 9 mile run.  Sure makes the miles go quicker!  Thanks for the great podcast!!!
Macon, GA

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »

That's just my opinion.

For supporters of this "style" it reminds me a story of "Emperor new clothes".
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:35 am »
For supporters of this "style" it reminds me a story of "Emperor new clothes".

Great analogy!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:03:29 pm »
"Money pizza beer" is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:10:05 pm »
"Money pizza beer" is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of.
As a beer it's totally stupid. However if you reverse the order that's the prioritized list of reasons that I worked in college ;)