Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rut, but ok with it  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Rut, but ok with it
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 03:24:20 pm »
Maybe plateau is the proper word, so long as it doesn't imply summit. And it's not a boredom thing, I still look forward to brewing. I'm actually brewing right now. Its more of a plateau/rut as far as trying to learn new stuff, explore new styles, bla bla bla.

The brew day is fun and relaxing, the beer is good, I just don't care anymore about science and proving things.

The thrill of discovery is part of the fun of brewing and  I don't think it ever disappears, even after the learning curve levels off. Proving stuff is a different kind of fun - more about ego, one-upmanship and attacking sacred cows.

I have no interest in proving anything.  But I do constantly tweak the recipes I brew to hopefully make them better.  And tweak my process.  And add new gadgets.  I just want to have good beer that my guests enjoy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »
I have no interest in proving anything.  But I do constantly tweak the recipes I brew to hopefully make them better.  And tweak my process.  And add new gadgets.  I just want to have good beer that my guests enjoy.

I reckon most brewers enjoy the creative process of honing their own methods and recipes. I do have a few recipes I like to repeat just as they are but trying new ideas is always more exciting, even if the results aren't as reliable.

Online Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 03:57:08 pm »
I get in a rut a couple of times a year it seems. After I brew a few really good batches consecutively I always get a couple the are kind of 'meh' which makes me question if I know anything about what I am doing. Right when I start to gain some confidence in my processes, recipes, etc. something inevitably happens to make me second guess everything...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:27 am »
Maybe plateau is the proper word, so long as it doesn't imply summit. And it's not a boredom thing, I still look forward to brewing. I'm actually brewing right now. Its more of a plateau/rut as far as trying to learn new stuff, explore new styles, bla bla bla.

The brew day is fun and relaxing, the beer is good, I just don't care anymore about science and proving things.

Jim, I'm in much the same boat, but I think of it as "focused" rather than in a rut. I make the styles of beer that I like, and they're pretty darned good (says he, throwing his shoulder out while patting himself on the back). There are some styles (sours come to mind) that I enjoy occasionally, but I'm not very interested in brewing; those I drink at one of my local taprooms. I do enjoy IPAs and pales right now, plus some sort of Belgian now and then. I have some "standards" that are pretty much always on tap (because my wife, my friends and I like 'em). When I want to do something a bit different, I'm likely to try something like Denny's Rye IPA - not a big departure from my "usual", but I can be pretty sure I'll enjoy it. I love brewing and my beers, and that's what it's all about for me.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 11:44:27 am »

The brew day is fun and relaxing, the beer is good,

You're doing something right, I'm sure of it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified