Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do I start all grain brewing  (Read 4513 times)

Offline BigArms2015

• 1st Kit
How do I start all grain brewing
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:22:09 am »
Hi all

Have been brewing for 3 yrs now extract that is including beers, ciders etc with added malt and hops thats about. I went the kegging route and quite happy with it.

How do I transition to all grain as whenever i try to read on websites it just looks too complicated. Is there some hidden or simpler instructions to go about it...

cheers for any help.
To be honest so far everyone I invited have been quite happy with the beers i have brewed. But all grain mostly for self satisfaction.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: How do I start all grain brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:19:51 am »
It's really not all that complicated to start (though you can make it as complicated as you want). Technically speaking you are going to simply crush the grain, let the entire mash soak at about 150 degrees (a 1.25 qt per pound ratio mixed with 170 degree water will get you close enough) for 30-60 minutes and then rinse the sugars from the grain with 170 degree wayter until you reach your final volume. You need one good source to go by. I recommend www.howtobrew.com. Also check out Denny's batch sparge method (do a search for "Denny brew")

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 05:39:34 am »
I strongly recommend following majorvices advice, and just go for it. With the small investment of a larger kettle and a cooler mash tun your good to go. Also, assuming you already have a 5 gallon kettle you can make smaller batches with only the miniscule investment of a bag with the brew in a bag method.
I remember it seemed daunting at first but just going ahead and doing it is all it takes, it's not hard at all.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:03:02 am »
Look for brewing classes at the local homebrew supply store. Many places offer them for a nominal charge.

Ask around at the homebrew club in the area. Ask if you can help someone the next time they brew.

Its a ways away, but learn to homebrew day is in November. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/learn-to-homebrew-day/  It seems like you are ready now and don't want to wait until November.

My suggestion is to check with your local homebrew supply store and the local club. Lots of people are willing to help a person learn.
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:07:43 am »
Here's a video from the AHA based onmy equipment and process....https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/How-To-Batch-Sparge.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:47 am »
Here's a video from the AHA based onmy equipment and process....https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/How-To-Batch-Sparge.pdf
Was there supposed to be a link to the Introduction to All-Grain Brewing video series? It's referenced in the PDF you linked, but not sure if it's actually available online.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:27:10 am »
I read the how to at http://www.dennybrew.com/ when I did my first AG batch in August of 2005!
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:32 am »
There is a bit of a learning curve to this.  Join your local homebrew club to shorten the learning curve the most.  Someone there will surely invite you to brew with them so you can get a hands on experience and give you some tips. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:06:56 am »
At its core you are just:

1. Adding hot water to milled grain;

2. Letting it sit (mash);

3. Draining the liquid;

4. Repeating steps 1 and 3 (batch sparge);

5. Combining all the runnings to boil.

Beyond that you need to know water volumes, water temperatures, vorlaufing and very little water chemistry. Brewing software easily helps calculate volumes and temperatures. You don't need to know water chemistry right away.

Vorlaufing is not a difficult process. You're just draining some of the runnings and adding it back to the top of the mash until the runnings drain without grain particles. Then you permanently drain the mash tun.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:36:18 am »
BIAB is a good method to take the first step into AG brewing, especially if you're familiar with extract+steeped grain.  It has the advantage of requiring little additional equipment.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Chronospa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:40 am »
I recommend you just do it. I just did my first AG 2 weeks ago after worrying about it for 2 years. I kept talking myself out of it thinking it was so complicated. I had read a lot of materials that focused on step mashing, which is what really freaked me out.

Then I found all the new info on BIAB and Single Temp Infusion Mash and went with that. I got done doing my first batch and thought "That was it? Why in the world did I get myself so worked up over this?"

In the end it's just like making oatmeal (albeit an 8-15 lb bowl of oatmeal), draining the liquid to a kettle, and then doing exactly what you did before with boiling/hops/yeast/etc.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:30 pm »
I recommend you just do it. I just did my first AG 2 weeks ago after worrying about it for 2 years. I kept talking myself out of it thinking it was so complicated. I had read a lot of materials that focused on step mashing, which is what really freaked me out.

Then I found all the new info on BIAB and Single Temp Infusion Mash and went with that. I got done doing my first batch and thought "That was it? Why in the world did I get myself so worked up over this?"

In the end it's just like making oatmeal (albeit an 8-15 lb bowl of oatmeal), draining the liquid to a kettle, and then doing exactly what you did before with boiling/hops/yeast/etc.

Yep, this^^

If you have been able to steep your extra grains and keep it around 150F, then you are most of the way there.  Denny's page is a good place to start.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline BigArms2015

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 07:04:07 pm »
What's a BIAB? So how many buckets I need or pots and how big? Ya I will try all grain very very soon. I will also be making youtube video for absolute newbies like me who wants to transition to all grain beer making. I am quick learner but I need theory as to why I gotta do what i gotta do..

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 07:23:09 pm »
When I did a partial mash, I said that is it? When I did my first all grain, I said - that is all there is to it?

Just do it and don't look back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 04:37:07 am »
What's a BIAB? So how many buckets I need or pots and how big? Ya I will try all grain very very soon. I will also be making youtube video for absolute newbies like me who wants to transition to all grain beer making. I am quick learner but I need theory as to why I gotta do what i gotta do..

BIAB = Brew In A Bag - http://homebrewmanual.com/brew-in-a-bag/

As far as equipment goes, I started with a large stockport (I used a 30L pot for producing 19/20L batches), a thermometer, something to insulate the pot whilst mashing (I used an old sleeping bag) and a brew bag.  I quickly added a wort chiller (easy to make using copper pipe and hoses), but you don't really need anything more than that.  If you find all grain brewing is for you, you can always add the additional equipment required to go to a 3 vessel approach.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017