Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finished My Brew Stand  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
Finished My Brew Stand
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:31 am »
It took ~28 hours of work and a lot of 6160 aluminum, button head cap screws, lockwashers and nuts but I finished my new brew stand and took it on a test run last night. I had the natural gas line extended to the patio when we finished the basement. Goodbye propane.

Here is what I have been using for the past 11 years:

And here is the upgrade:

I didn't want to have to hassle with any pumps.  I've seen too many issues with pumps on others' systems - maybe I'm a jinx on them - so I decided, "No thanks". Sticking to gravity feed. It ain't the prettiest and still needs some tweaks.  I plan to add a couple of shelves and hooks to hang my mash paddle, spoon, hoses, etc. 

I cant wait to brew on it!
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Finished My Brew Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:41:07 am »
Nice work!  That is what I call an upgrade.  Well done.  Let us know how the inaugural batch goes.

Offline txpitmaster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:44:46 am »
Well done!

coastsidemike

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:20:39 am »
I really like the use of aluminum and bolts you have here.  Seems like the components might be a little close together (the cooler next to the burner), but it'll be adjustable as you grow into it.  Nice job!

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »
I really like the use of aluminum and bolts you have here.  Seems like the components might be a little close together (the cooler next to the burner), but it'll be adjustable as you grow into it.  Nice job!
Thanks. I was afraid the cooler would be too close, but there were no issues.  Still, l plan to install a heat sheiled there, just to be safe.

The first batch went well, but the alumium across the tops on the right and left that support the pots is staring to warp from heat.  I was afraid this might happen.  So the plan now is to repurpose the two frames I have from my old Bayou Classic SQ14's.  I measured them and it looks like they will just slide into place after I cut their legs off. Will bolt them with supports to the aluminum frame and, hopefuly, will have soved the problem.  I also plan to add some kind of wind sheild around the burners. Probably just some flashing.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:15:21 pm »
looking good!  8)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Finished My Brew Stand
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:07:43 pm »
Nice brew stand. I am a gravity man as well. Less to clean.

FWIW: close than damper a bit to eliminate the yellow flame and you won't have to clean soot off the bottom of that kettle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:09:32 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:45:27 pm »
...FWIW: close than damper a bit to eliminate the yellow flame and you won't have to clean soot off the bottom of that kettle. ....

Yeah, I had it open only so it would show up in the picture! :)

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb

Offline sphillips1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 05:34:27 pm »
What burners did you use?

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:34:01 pm »
What burners did you use?

Bayou Classic BG14.

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb