Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hot head ale yeast by omega  (Read 1429 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
hot head ale yeast by omega
« on: June 10, 2016, 04:54:52 am »
I picked up this strain because of its wide temp range. 1st batch went great and I saved a bunch of slurry. 2nd batch pitched a cup and a half of slurry and it was a slow bubble in a day and has been consistent since. started at 1.070 and 10 days in 1.030. When i drew the sample it was still too sweet and actual attenuation is only at 57%. Should I just let it keep going? It has a thick layer on top but the bottom has a real thick layer so it looks like it dropped out. Everything ive read on this strain which there isn't much info out on it says it takes off but this doesn't seem to have that characteristic at all. I know a starter would have helped. I'm lazy like that.
Jimmykx250

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: hot head ale yeast by omega
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:34:50 am »
I've seen several people use this strain, like you with good success on the first batch, but I have seen far fewer results on a repitch. It's definitely unusual that the yeast would underperform on its second round. Normally yeast acclimate better to beer fermentations in subsequent pitches.

I'd be curious to know more about your pitch on the most recent beer. How old was the slurry? Did you make a starter or aerate the wort? How warm did you ferment this? It may just be a finicky strain like 3724.

You may want to reach out to OYL and see what they have to say.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Re: hot head ale yeast by omega
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 03:29:03 pm »
I've seen several people use this strain, like you with good success on the first batch, but I have seen far fewer results on a repitch. It's definitely unusual that the yeast would underperform on its second round. Normally yeast acclimate better to beer fermentations in subsequent pitches.

I'd be curious to know more about your pitch on the most recent beer. How old was the slurry? Did you make a starter or aerate the wort? How warm did you ferment this? It may just be a finicky strain like 3724.

You may want to reach out to OYL and see what they have to say.

Didn't do a starter as the yeast slurry was only a week old. I pitched at70 and kept it in a water bath for the entire time. because of the wide fermentation range i didn't worry to much about it. Do u think i should throw some us05 on it to chew up some of the sugars? Its too sweet as is and i think the yeast is done now.

Jimmykx250