Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giving up the glass  (Read 3226 times)

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Giving up the glass
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 10:21:52 am »
Obviously, safety has to be a priority. Which means you do what you are comfortable doing.
I have 2 glass carboys break because I had wet hands. Whenever I handle glass carboy now, I stop, check my hands. I also put the carboy in a large grain bucket. So if it breaks, it is self contained. I haven't had a problem since.
I am constantly urging my fellow club members to slow down, think safety, and constantly review your procedures. Home brewing is a great hobby. But, it not worth getting injured over.

I understand what you are saying.  I probably could have gone slower and I KNOW I should have dried my hands and the carboy before picking it up.  It was definitely a preventable thing for sure.  I was careless and I got lucky.  I actually did consider a new glass one, but decided on the buckets from a cost standpoint as well as just not wanting to be worried about it happening again and not getting so lucky.  Brew is fun, and I have found it relaxing (actually brewing and reading all I can to learn as much as I can), even though it is a lot like cooking which I do for a living.  And you are right, it's not worth winding up in the hospital for.
My best to you. I agree it is enjoyable. Stay encouraged and enjoy!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
Re: Giving up the glass
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 07:20:27 pm »
Depending I use the handles and cloth cradles made for glass carboys . No worries of handling wet glass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk