Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fining agents and natural carbonation  (Read 2067 times)

Offline MrBJones

• 1st Kit
Fining agents and natural carbonation
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:38:54 am »
I have five gallons of of Irish Red Ale that's been in the primary (carboy) for a week. It's pretty cloudy; will probably settle out some in the next week, but I'm considering using a fining agent to help it along. Before I do that, though, I want to be sure it won't have an impact on natural carbonation later. Could fining cause so much yeast to settle out that it inhibits fermentation in the bottles?

Also, which fining agents offer the best combination of ease and effectiveness?

Thanks!

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Fining agents and natural carbonation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:11:04 am »
The short answer is no. Even if you use gelatin at cold temps, you will have plenty of yeast left in suspension to naturally carbonate with sugar. All fining does is take the yeast in suspension (and other components) below the visible threshold - doesn't mean there aren't any present.

The only time you may need to back-add yeast for conditioning is if you brew a very high alcohol beer or you age for a long period of time. I've found that for many strains, high alcohol isn't a big deal - they carbonate just fine without additional yeast. Long term aging on primary before bottling... I've never tested.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Fining agents and natural carbonation
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »
Yep, I cold fine lagers (and ales) with gelatin, get brilliant clear beer and there's still plenty of yeast for bottle carbonation.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.