Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First decoctition match  (Read 1887 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
First decoctition match
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
For my Oktoberfest I'm brewing, I decided to try my hand at a decoctition mash.  I decided to go with a single decoctition as described in "How to Brew:" Infuse to 151 for 35 min., pull the decoctition, hold at 160 for 20 min, then boil for 45, and back into the main mash for mash-out.  However, I goofed.  This was my first shot at trying to hold a temp with my burner.  I managed to spike it to 170 for a few minutes before I got it cooled it back down to 160.  I guess I need a little more patience!  What kind of damage did I do?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First decoctition match
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »
Probably minimal damage.  You'd gotten a fair bit of conversion before you pulled the decoction, and most of the enzymes stay behind in the liquid in the mash tun.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine!!  Your challenge will be duplicating it in future because it tasted soooo good!!  ;)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:12:29 pm »
Generally a decoction for a mashout is just the thin or liquid part, a decoction to do a low rest then a high rest, which is then followed by a period of time in the mash tun is the thick/grainy part of the mash.

This is because during the grain boil you are exposing the starch that is remaining in the grain and you want the enzymes to act on these.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:50:11 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Glad I didn't screw this one up too bad!  I was looking to get a little more malty goodiness in my Oktoberfest.  If this one works out, maybe I'll try a double next time.  My biggest problem is the time.  The single probably added about an hour to my brew session.  I'm lucky to steal the 4-5 for a normal session!  Cheers!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:04 am »
Did just stirring cool it down to 160 or did you have to add water?

Its possible that you didnt get the whole pull up to 170, more likely a hot pocket (ROFL at Jim Gaffigan) above where the burner is.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead