Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sauerkraut Fun  (Read 1381 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Sauerkraut Fun
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:58:00 pm »
So I've made kraut in the past and know how to do it and as it turns out I like kraut, a little on a reuben, but a bucket of kraut is enough to last me forever. My wife tried to make some in the kitchen a few years ago and as soon as it started to ferment she threw it out due to the smell of fermentation. While I was gone to Baltimore she decided it was time to make kraut again so she got some lids and airlocks for jars and made two small batches. When I got home she was very proud of herself until I divulged the airlock does not filter out the aromas, it simply keeps things from getting in. I wish I had a video of her reaction.

Anyway, I set her up a dorm fridge on a temp controller in the garage to ferment her kraut, but thought I would share the story.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Sauerkraut Fun
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »
Nice story.
I don't mind the smell of fermenting cabbage so I used to let the cooks at work ferment the kim chi in my office. It made for less interruptions.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Sauerkraut Fun
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:00:32 am »
Although I have been brewing for years and it's the same process I still get a little weirded out by seeing food bubbling.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing