Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation fridge  (Read 3439 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Fermentation fridge
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
I'm interested in this. Does anyone know if it would hold 2 x 3 gallon "square" better bottles? I do a lot of split batch (2 x 2 gallon with different yeasts). Looks like it might fit.

I pulled my two 3-gallon Better Bottles from the garage to see. Yes, they do fit, and even without removing the drawer you can fit them plus airlocks with room at the top. The Danby's thermostat is centered at the top, so the necks of the BBs go to the left and right of it. That said, I haven't used my 3 gal BBs in years; I moved to 5-gallon buckets because they are so much easier to clean and are a good fit for my 3-gallon batches, and I never am fermenting more than one batch at a time. I vaguely recall that a 5-gal BB with a standard airlock on it runs into an issue bumping up against the thermostat.

Helpful info - thanks for doing that!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Fermentation fridge
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
I'm interested in this. Does anyone know if it would hold 2 x 3 gallon "square" better bottles? I do a lot of split batch (2 x 2 gallon with different yeasts). Looks like it might fit.

I pulled my two 3-gallon Better Bottles from the garage to see. Yes, they do fit, and even without removing the drawer you can fit them plus airlocks with room at the top. The Danby's thermostat is centered at the top, so the necks of the BBs go to the left and right of it. That said, I haven't used my 3 gal BBs in years; I moved to 5-gallon buckets because they are so much easier to clean and are a good fit for my 3-gallon batches, and I never am fermenting more than one batch at a time. I vaguely recall that a 5-gal BB with a standard airlock on it runs into an issue bumping up against the thermostat.

Helpful info - thanks for doing that!

I bought my Danby at CostCo several years ago (and agree they are often in-store when they don't show up online) so here's the model: DAR044A2SLD0 ... just in case the Danby changed. But I think the biggest change to the Danby happened when the door shelf unit moved from screw-in to glued-in (which is why I haven't dealt with it). I sometimes wonder if Danby, which got a new CEO in late 2015, knows that its little fridge is popular with homebrewers.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member