Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Beers in America  (Read 3134 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Best Beers in America
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 07:34:48 pm »
The list is what it is.  I cannot complain because I didn't vote.  I don't vote mostly because I don't buy much beer, I drink primarily what I brew.  That said, I don't really think the list adds anything to Zymurgy...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:27 pm »
The list is what it is.  I cannot complain because I didn't vote.  I don't vote mostly because I don't buy much beer, I drink primarily what I brew.  That said, I don't really think the list adds anything to Zymurgy...
There are often some brewery supplied Homebrew recipes that accompany the article. That has been an add for me over the years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:05:52 pm »
The Homebrewers' Favorite Beers vs Best Beers In America gets discussed every year. Everyone here realizes what it is, but on other sites there is annual outrage. Whatev.

I would like to see a list of our faves though, if we all actually filled it out.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »
There are often some brewery supplied Homebrew recipes that accompany the article. That has been an add for me over the years.
Good point- recipes do help.  I think it would also be interesting to tally all of the bjcp scores from the commercial calibration column and see what up there from those- particularly if the beers were more widely available.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 03:47:38 pm »
I agree that I hate that these popularity contests call themselves "Best Beer" lists.
Podunkbrau can never gain the votes that a very well known but lesser quality beer gets.
Go to the World Beer Cup and GABF winners lists for a more accurate representation of what the best beers really are.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 08:39:43 pm »
I wish they would maybe break it out a bit into categories..... Don't have to go crazy with every BJCP category. And, rather than do "best" do "top 5" in no order.
Perhaps do something along the lines of:

Top 5 IPA's/APA's/Amber's
Top 5 Browns/porters/stouts
Top 5 Lagers
Top 5 Sours/Farmhouse
Top 5 English/Scottish
Top 5 belgian
Top 5 Barrel Aged

Maybe 5-8 categories.  Simply list the 5 (or 10) beers in each category that got the most votes. 

As it is now, it is simply a list of DIPA's and big stouts.  blah, blah, blah.... they could just as well post a link to Beer Advocate or Rate Beer.

If they broke it out by some broad style groups and simply listed the top 5 vote getters in each one, it might encourage people to seek out and try a number of beers they had not considered before in various styles.  It would be more educational and informative for sure.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 09:18:15 pm »
I had Pliny a couple years ago in philly. I was better than average.

I don't vote anymore, nor do I look at the list.

I can't complain, but I can't be blaimed either!  ;)
Frank

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:53 pm »
Back on it. 700 miles today, now sitting in Colorado.  I know this is a b@$!# fest every year, I just wanted to be the first to start it, especially with my recent experience with that ole #1. When voting, I hit a wrong button and only got 2 local beer votes logged. I know they would not have cracked the list, but wanted to try to help them out. I like the idea of top 5 or so in each of 5-10 categories. Something like that would be a lot more interesting to read and could help me find my next favorite
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)