Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewed – The New Discovery Channel show with Sam Calagione  (Read 9299 times)

Offline halenrush

• Cellarman
  • Humboldt County, CA
Can't wait!

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/brewed-the-new-discovery-channel-series-starring-sam-calagione-owner-of-dogfish-head-brewing

The Discovery Channel Raises A Glass For Brewed, New Series On The World Of Beer Announced For Fall 2010. Silver Spring, MD – Beer is the drink of the masses. If you look into a glass of beer you can see the past, present and future of mankind. Cicero lauded it, Genghis Khan fought for it and now Discovery Channel celebrates it with a world premiere series, BREWED, exploring the culture, history and variety of beer.

Meet Sam Calagione: maverick entrepreneur, family man and owner of Dogfish Head Brewery in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. As an ambassador to the world of craft beer, Sam travels the world to experience what every culture brings to its own special brew.

In BREWED, Sam shows viewers the other side of the bottle, sharing the stories of beer sub-cultures as well as exploring life inside The Dogfish Head Brewery. BREWED goes behind the scenes at Dogfish Head as Sam’s merry band of creative brewmasters concoct new taste varieties.

“BREWED taps more than just kegs and barrels, it unlocks a fascinating history of beer making, showcasing the ingenuity and passion behind our love affair with those alluring suds and how it played a role in building civilizations,” said Clark Bunting, President and General Manager of Discovery Channel.

Running a successful business also requires inspiration, so BREWED hits the road for the ultimate beer tasting road trip. Along with archeologist and beer expert Pat McGovern, Sam sets out to recreate “ancient ales” that have been discovered at sites around the world from Egypt to Peru. He travels to Rome to research old world Italian beers as inspiration for a new site in New York with Mario Batali. A visit to New Zealand introduces the idea of making the “first tomato based beer.” And back home, Sam is tasked to come up with a commemorative beer called “b****es Brew” to celebrate the 40th anniversary release of Miles Davis’ famous recording.

“Beer has always been my passion. It is so much more than what you see in the glass. I’m excited to share the diligence, daring and creativity that we pour into our work,” said Calagione.

BREWED is produced for Discovery Channel by Zero Point Zero Productions. Chris Collins and Lydia Tenaglia are executive producers. Tim Pastore is executive producer for Discovery Channel.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewed – The New Discovery Channel show with Sam Calagione
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:48:32 pm »
I want to see Iron Chef type brewing. That would be cool - secret ingredient - make a beer and time lapse fast forward to serving time for the judges. Every gadget available; essence extractors, steam imfusion mashes, randalls, etc...
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:49:50 pm »
Sounds like a really interesting series. I will be tuning in!
Ron Price

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »
Very cool! Thanks for the heads-up.  8)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:26 am »
I want to see Iron Chef type brewing. That would be cool - secret ingredient - make a beer and time lapse fast forward to serving time for the judges. Every gadget available; essence extractors, steam imfusion mashes, randalls, etc...

... mix in another chef show and which one of the folks on here would be good to play this guy's part?...

Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:41 am »
I may have missed it in the article but when does it premier?  I searched the discovery channel website and didn't see any mention of it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline geo1267

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »
http://cbs3.com/wireapnewsde/Rehoboth.Beach.brewer.2.1783882.html

According to this article it will air this fall 2010 but an exact date has not been set.

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:00 am »
I'll definitely be tuning in. We need more beer shows on TV!
618 Country - Southern Illinois

Offline smithy222

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 08:13:06 am »
When I was at the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids there was a guy/crew filming a piolt show about beer. I think it was called Brewology 101. Wonder if it will ever get picked up? Anyone else seen/heard of this show?

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:46 am »
Sounds very interesting. Will definitely be tuning in!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:07:27 pm »
I can't wait, we should be in a new home by then and have a dish, I hope!!! :o

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

Local HB clubs have been having "Iron Brewer" contests.  They go head to head in brackets.  For each round they give an ingredient or two.  Contestants design style/ recipa around the ingredient.  The turnaround is pretty quick w/ the winner of each bracket chosen by the club members at their regular meetings.  A good friend of mine won a contest in the midwest about 6 months ago.  It was pretty cool talking to him while the contest was going on.  Even cooler that he won.  They're doing it again next year.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »

Yeah sure, like when Alton Brown tried and we all ripped him to shreds. Granted he's no Denny Conn; but we gotta start somewhere!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:22 am »

Yeah sure, like when Alton Brown tried and we all ripped him to shreds. Granted he's no Denny Conn; but we gotta start somewhere!
Alton did a good job.  He brought his audience to a point where we could really help them.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline halenrush

• Cellarman
  • Humboldt County, CA
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:27 pm »
Quite interesting.  I posted the same info on the other forum, and it brought out a bunch of Sam Calagione haters.