Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: having hard time deciding if i should upgrade to kegging what do you recommend  (Read 3830 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Kegging 100% of the way. It has saved much time and effort in my brewing process. All the way.  You will not be upset you did it.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
I keg.

But, I like bottles because they create a natural stopping point. 1 bottle is 12 oz. I will drink 1 and stop.

With kegging I serve a pint. Then sneak a few more ounces. Then a few more.

Makes watching my weight more challenging.
+1 I was thinking of putting the keezer upstairs but decided to keep it in the cellar. It makes each beer more of a decision and saves me from having to do the woodworking to make the keezer presentable. 
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
If you like to have the room and money--  and you like to tinker around with new gear--  go for it.  I started kegging about a year send a half ago.  I love every aspect of it.  I was not a huge fan of bottling and kegging day is way less tedious than bottling.  I actually enjoy cleaning beer lines, fine tuning the temp controller, getting the right carb level, etc.  I don't know if kegging takes less time in total, but I enjoy the effort more.  I am suspect of the folks that say you can drink and enjoy your brews soon after kegging/carbing--  I think mine brews are better after a few weeks in the keg.  All in all, the planning and building of your system can be lots fun.  And at the end there is beer.  It doesn't get much better than that. 

Offline lyagooshka

• 1st Kit
I'm going for broke and getting a kegging system this weekend.
I have a Session IPA that's almost done, and I will be using it for my "maiden voyage".
I've read a few folks here talk about lugging a keg to parties.
IMHO, kegging actually makes it easier.
No more worrying about how much priming sugar to use, just a few days on tap, and you can bottle right from the keg.
And don't forget growlers.
Anyway, good luck.
I'm looking forward to the experience.
I'll be keeping it in a spare full-size fridge for now, until I get a keg system going (IF is more like it).
Let us know how it goes for you.
CHEERS!!!

narvin

You should keg.  You'll brew more often and enjoy a fresher product.  There are some long-aging beers I still bottle, but most of the time kegging is the way to go.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Depends on your circumstances.

I'm 69, have weight and medication issues so I limit my consumption to 4 to 5 bottles a week.  I also have older friends with similar situations.

For me bottling makes more sense.  I can take 3 or 4 bottles of different brews when visiting without having to lug kegs.  Since I'm retired,  it's easy to find the time required to clean, sanitize, prime and fill them.

The extra delay required for bottle carbonation is not a huge issue if you plan ahead.

Each to his own, however. 

Cheers no matter which alternative you decide to use.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
As far as the time it takes to drink the beer when bottle conditioning I think that's a red herring. Most beers need the same 2-3 weeks in the keg before they are truly at their best and also are generally better a week or two after that. Yes, you can force carb at high pressure and have it carbed in a day or two but that doesn't mean you should. You could keep primed bottles at 80 degrees and rouse twice a day and have them carbed pretty quick too but I don't recommend it.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
As far as the time it takes to drink the beer when bottle conditioning I think that's a red herring. Most beers need the same 2-3 weeks in the keg before they are truly at their best and also are generally better a week or two after that. Yes, you can force carb at high pressure and have it carbed in a day or two but that doesn't mean you should. You could keep primed bottles at 80 degrees and rouse twice a day and have them carbed pretty quick too but I don't recommend it.

This has been my experience as well. fast carbed beers dont usually pour well and most beers taste better with some time on them anyway. I suppose in a pinch you have the option to carb fast and accept the results but its not the best method anyway.
I say go for it if you have the room and money. A Keg or 5 of beer on tap in your own home is a very cool thing.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster

This.

I've noticed that when I bottle condition for a bit longer and at slightly lower temp, I like what it does for the beer and the carbonation rather than rousing every day at near 80 F for a week. They both end up being adequately carbonated but the former tastes better and the carbonation is higher quality if that makes any sense. I feel that the quick bottle conditioning results in bigger/harsher bubbles whereas longer bottle conditioning gives  a smoother more substantial head and a more pleasant mouthfeel with respect to the carbonation.