Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steeping Hops  (Read 4937 times)

Offline dhouse

• 1st Kit
Steeping Hops
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:41 pm »
Hi all,
I would like to try adding hops after flameout in my next batch of beer. This requires the hops to steep for a certain amount of time after the boil. Most brewing techniques seem to suggest chilling the wort to fermentation temperature as quickly as possible as to avoid infecting it. My question(s) is, what is the typical amount of time to let the hops steep for a 16 litre batch and do I need to lower the wort temperature before steeping? Can I just just steep the hops while chilling the wort?
Best,

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Steeping Hops
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »
Typical practice amongst many forum members, including myself, is to chill the wort to 175ish. Then add your 0 minute hops for a hopstand or whirlpool for anywhere from 20-90 minutes. This will maximize your hop flavor without contributing any bitterness. Then complete chilling to pitching temperature. Don't be too concerned with chilling quickly.
Frank

Offline dhouse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:55:34 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll try it out.
Best,

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:03:44 am »
Steeping usually occurs at over Pasteurization temperature, so you have no issues with infection. Chill rapidly after the hop stand.

Bitterness is added, to be exact, but the rate of isomorization is low enough that you don't worry about it if you had a fair amount added in the boil.

During a talk, Stan Hieronymus said we should try different temps, and that 185F was recommended. Different temps were said to favor different flavors.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »
I steeped one addition at 170 and  one at 120 for 15 min each on my pale ale a few batches ago. Had good results with no infections.  I would imagine to extend the steep time the lower the temp which I did not do. Next time I will steep longer for more flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 01:20:28 pm »
By the time I get to the point of a 0 minute addition, I am ready for the brew day to be over, so I add my hops at about 180 as I continue to chill. I have had good results with this. To get more flavor and aroma, I adjust the addition amount rather than extend the time.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »
By the time I get to the point of a 0 minute addition, I am ready for the brew day to be over, so I add my hops at about 180 as I continue to chill. I have had good results with this. To get more flavor and aroma, I adjust the addition amount rather than extend the time.

What average amount of hops are you adding at this stage and how long would you say does it take you to chill the batch after that?

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:25:40 pm »
I tend to make malty German lagers, so usually add 0.5 to 1.0 ounces of Tett, Saaz, or Mittelfrueh at 180. I have 20a pumped whirlpool, and in the summer it takes about 20-25 minutes to get to 80 (water temps are right around that in the summer here). Then into the fermenter and chamber to finish cooling until time to pitch. Almost all of the pellet sludge is left behind. I like the clean hop aroma and flavor I get from this technique. In the winter, the time in whirlpool is about the same, but the temp into the fermenter is cooler.

Offline dhouse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 11:50:10 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had my last beer judged (American IPA) and while it scored ok the judges felt there should have been more hop aroma and flavour for the style. Anyhow, I'll do a variation on the above suggestions and not worry so much about getting to pitching temp so quickly.
Best,

Offline dhouse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:38 am »
Yes. As much as I like to brew by the time I'm done I'm a bit fried. Must be doing it wrong :)