Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hefeweisen seems wrong  (Read 2592 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hefeweisen seems wrong
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:58 am »
Yes, those are all steps one can take to preserve efficiency with wheat malt, but the truth is, not everyone (or even many probably) does those things. Most probably just incorporate a single infusion mash or maybe a double step. This could lead to lower efficiency which may or may not be chalked up to wheat usage/percentage in the grain bill.

Offline trummel2

• 1st Kit
Re: Hefeweisen seems wrong
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 03:31:50 pm »

I'd definitely say you mashed too high.  You have low extract efficiency and unfermentable sugars resulting in the high finishing gravity. I mash my hefeweizen recipes around 151.  A semi--dry finish is desired, i think.

Some tips you can do now:

Take the short amount of time it takes to calibrate your thermometer.  Make sure you have one that can be adjusted by turning the back.  They are available for less than $10 I bet, thats what I use.  Insert it into a pot of boiling water and see if it reaches 212 degrees F (depending on altitude, find the boiling point online at your altitude and adjust)  Adjust the thermometer as appropriate.  Compare it to other thermometers in the room like on a thermostat.  That should keep you in the ballpark. I do this process at least one every three brews.  Temp is important, duder  ::) Research the appropriate mash temp range for the style you are making online and adjust a few degrees to your preferences, or go straight down the middle when the count is 3 and 2 (nod to you, Charlie  ;D). 

Give your mash some time to equalize in temperature between the water and grain.  This is more so important in thick mashes.  Give it a moment to settle, and have a home brew, then adjust.  No rushes.  Check the temp periodically during your mash unless you feel you got a good understanding on how your mash tun operates, like one you have used a few times before and took some simple measurements and notes on.  Be conservative in infusions temperatures and aim cooler than hotter if you are not so accurate.  It is easier to raise the temp than cool and too high a mash temp may result in lower than desired finished gravity (ughm  :o)  Brewer's Friend Infusion Calculator online does all the hard math for us in calculating amounts and temps and is reliable.  Just put in your data correctly and watch out for the units (qts vs L vs gal)!

Other things that may cause those results can be involved in water chemistry as well, but based on the info given I would start with lowering the mash temperature.  Wheat malt can benefit from a protein rest to raise extraction and should be lautered at a high temperature, 165-170 for instance.  Add rice hulls if you want, I never do, though. 

We spend a lot of time and effort into making good beer, these simple steps will help.
I've had a dud or two before, too, its ok.  5 gal is alot, though :-[
I'm offering you some minor changes in your beer routine, but I think you will like the results.
Good luck and better luck next time.