Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3724 Advice  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
Wyeast 3724 Advice
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:48:42 am »
Hi everyone,

This weekend I was planning on making a saison using Wyeast 3724. From what I understand and have read on the other threads of this forum is if I ferment the beer in the range of 28-32 degrees C, increased phenolics, fruity esters, earthy notes, and a particular “funky” mustiness show up. This is the profile that I want my beer to have, however I was concerned about the production of fusel alcohols at those high temperatures.

Would it be advisable to start at a lower temperature say 22-23 degrees C for the initial lag phase of 2-3 days and then let the temperature rise freely up to 28-32 degrees? Would it best to start by cooling the wort to 20 degrees C, aerating and pitching the yeast and then allow the temperature to rise freely?

Could someone please recommend a fermentation profile for the profile of beer that I want?

Thanks!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Wyeast 3724 Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:34 am »
This is one of my personal favorite yeast strains to work with. I do say "work with" because it is the most finicky strain I have ever used. Here is what I do to get the classic profile for saisons that I love.

Cool the wort to 68F. Pitch into aerated wort at 68F and hold for 2 days. Then ramp up 4-5 degrees/day until you get to 80-85F. Hold at this temp (important to keep constant, as in DO NOT LET IT DROP) for the duration of fermentation.

This yeast loves to stall around 1.030 in my experience. I typically leave a heat wrap on the fermenter for about a total of 5-6 weeks to ensure complete fermentation. I also swirl the fermenter every few days to keep the yeast in suspension and fermenting as it starts to slow. And yes, the first pitch of this strain does take this long when I use it with subsequent repitches becoming more normal timed over the course of generations.

Others may chime in here with putting foil over the carboy opening to reduce pressure buildup which may also be responsible for slowing this strain down to a crawl.  I cannot attest to that, as I have not tried it yet. You may also want to consider pitching a 2nd more attenuative saison strain (ie WY 3711, or Belle Saison) partway through fermentation to finish faster. Be aware though, if you plan on repitching the 3724, you will have a mixed strain blend going on which will quickly be overtaken by the faster fermenting strains characteristics.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:24:07 am »
Last saison I made, I kept it around 20c for the first 3 days, then upped it by 2c per day to 28c, and left it there until it was done (started 1.060, finished 1.006). 

The other thing to remember with this yeast is rather than fitting an airlock, just cover the hole with some sanitised foil to keep dust out.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:28 am »
Last saison I made, I kept it around 20c for the first 3 days, then upped it by 2c per day to 28c, and left it there until it was done (started 1.060, finished 1.006). 

The other thing to remember with this yeast is rather than fitting an airlock, just cover the hole with some sanitised foil to keep dust out.

Did you notice a faster ferment time with the use of foil?

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

I've only ever used it following the foil advice (was actually using WLP565), so don't have an airlock comparison.  It fermented down to it's FG in a little over 2 weeks, but I left it until 21 days was up because I only tend to bottle on weekends.
Dom

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:31:16 am »

I've only ever used it following the foil advice (was actually using WLP565), so don't have an airlock comparison.  It fermented down to it's FG in a little over 2 weeks, but I left it until 21 days was up because I only tend to bottle on weekends.

Yeah, I have not had issues with WL 565 fermenting well, only WY 3724. They are actually two slightly different strains I believe.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:33:50 am »

Yeah, I have not had issues with WL 565 fermenting well, only WY 3724. They are actually two slightly different strains I believe.

Aha.  I tend to generally use WL when there is a choice in the UK, as they are much more widely available.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:34:27 am »

That's my understanding, too. Dupont allegedly uses multiple strains. IIRC Drew has theorized that these could be the two. I could be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:39 am »

That's my understanding, too. Dupont allegedly uses multiple strains. IIRC Drew has theorized that these could be the two. I could be wrong.

Lets pretend we're right until someone else chimes in.... ;)