Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41761 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #390 on: June 19, 2016, 01:45:38 pm »
Cool.  i think I will probably give Hoosierbrew's ASA a go round this fall. It looks and sounds delicious.

Still enjoying it!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #391 on: June 19, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »
I love those deceptive beers that are easy to drink, balanced, and oh so crushable at 8%!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #392 on: June 19, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
I love those deceptive beers that are easy to drink, balanced, and oh so crushable at 8%!!

Me too. It's definitely all those things.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #393 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:46 pm »
2014 batch of Joe Sr's Stout.  Not going to do scores since it wouldn't be fair.  I definitely should have opened this up back in September when I got it.

Aroma: Moderate coffee and chocolate with low caramel in the background. Very low toast.  No hops detected. Very light raisiny ester.  Nothing off detected.

Appearance: Black with ruby highlights at the very edges. Wispy tan head which disippated quickly.

Flavor: Moderate-high coffee-like roasted malt up front with moderate chocolate mid-palate. Low dark raisiny fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation, no astringency or diacetyl slickness, even finish.

Overall Impression: I wish I had drank it when I received it last year. A little undercarbed, but 7 or 8 months ago, it probably would have been great.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #394 on: June 19, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
Last review completed.  I'm a coffee stout snob, and I like this one.  It gets better as it warms.  Everytime I see a coffee stout, I wonder how much, if any, of a part my original HBD posted recipe played in its genesis.

Aroma: Moderate-high coffee and medium chocolate with low caramel in the background. Very low toast.  No hops detected. Nothing off detected. Caramel get to medium-low as it warms. 9/12

Appearance: Black with ruby highlights at the very edges. Moderate tan head with moderate retention.  Fine bubbles and creamy appearance. 3/3

Flavor: Moderate-high coffee and roasted malt up front with moderate chocolate mid-palate with some medium-low caramel at the finish. Caramel approaches medium as it warms with medium-low toast and biscuit. Balance is even with an extremely low sweetness at the finish. More of a lactose sweetness than sucrose, though. 15/20

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel with medium carbonation, no astringency or diacetyl slickness, even finish. 5/5

Overall Impression: I'm kind of a coffee stout snob.  My original Wake Up and Go To Sleep Stout recipe made the Cat's Meow database, and this is better than that original batch. I really regret not cracking this one sooner. 8/10

Total Score: 40/50

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #395 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:49 pm »
I appreciate the reviews Toby. You've made a lovely Father's Day even nicer. I read these earlier while sipping a Deschutes Obsidian stout in the heat of the day.

The stout is a regular in my line up for about the last 15 years or so. It's changed over time a bit but has stayed true to its genesis. The coffee stout is the same base beer and was from a split batch.  Glad you liked it. When fresh I have to say it was one of the top 10 I've made.  It went to the NHC finals last year but did not medal. For the rebrew this year I used different beans (with out first tasting a cup) and it turned out to be coffee that I did not enjoy. The beer is not bad (something like a 38 in the first round this year) but I just don't care for the coffee I added. Lesson learned.

The old ale is also a standby. Based off a Bell's third coast old ale recipe from an old zymurgy. Not quite to style for the bjcp but I enjoy it. I'd like to get more caramel body to it similar to your wee heavy. I will likely try a longer boil next time I give it a go.

Anyway, thanks for the reviews even if delayed. You've reminded me I need to get a couple more done for the spring swap but tonight I need to fold the kids' laundry.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #396 on: June 20, 2016, 07:28:54 am »

The old ale is also a standby. Based off a Bell's third coast old ale recipe from an old zymurgy. Not quite to style for the bjcp but I enjoy it. I'd like to get more caramel body to it similar to your wee heavy. I will likely try a longer boil next time I give it a go.

You may also want to consider looking into the use of English crystal malts for a more intense caramel note. I especially like the 60 and 120L versions for building up recipes.