Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO water  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: RO water
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »
what do you guys think about this little RO system? I kind of doubt that it will work for beer brewers, it seems just to simple.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-50-Gallon/dp/B00DOG63OY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466639771&sr=8-4&keywords=ro+water+filter+system

I've got their 100 GPD version, with the DI cartridge. It's held up well so far, though I'm likely to just replace the entire system when the DI cartridge goes. Martin has mentioned that this system may not be the best when it comes to taking care of the membrane, but I feel at the price point the entire system can be expendable.

It does create a lot of waste though, and even with the 100 GPD setup it does take many hours to collect enough water to brew with.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:41 pm »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:52 am »
I can't tell if the filters are uniform and easy to obtain - if it has special sized filters, you may have to order them from only the manufacturer.  Other than that observation, it looks to be a reasonable system at a good price.  Read the reviews on it to help decide.  It may take an extended time period to collect enough RO water for brewing.  I collect about 9 gallons a day, so over the course of a couple days I have enough to brew 10 gallon batches. YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"