Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's talk about pumps!  (Read 5642 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Let's talk about pumps!
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:54:27 am »
I have a Brutus 10 stand with a March 809HS pump and want to plumb it for optimal performance.   I was hoping to get some feedback from other brewers.

How do you have your pump installed and plumbed?    What are the "DO's and DON'Ts" for wort pumps?

I eventually want to set up a recirculating system with a second pump.  What is the best way to install a two pump system?

Any advice or feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Let's talk about pumps!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:34 am »
Pumps are heeled shoes with low cut fronts and usually no fastening, but can also be formal shoes for both genders. The type of women's shoe referred to as a pump is somewhat similar in overall shape to the handles of old-fashioned manual well pumps, possibly accounting for the name.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:05 am »
Great info there hokerer.  I didn't know your other hobby was womens fashion.  Very enlightening.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
Any prior experience with pumps and brewing? I just did my first batch with one last weekend and the main issue was clogging from the hops and hop seeds.

I'd suggest nailing that down before actually trying to brew since it will become a nightmarish hassle if you don't.

As it is when I get my stand built there will be two pumps as well.

Good luck- keep us (me) appraised since this is a primary interest at the moment!

Edit: " be become" is just plain bad English...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:07:23 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »
Name the pumps "Hans" and "Franz."  "Und ve just vant to pump... (clap) ...YOU UP!"  :P

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:25 pm »
Any prior experience with pumps and brewing? I just did my first batch with one last weekend and the main issue was clogging from the hops and hop seeds.

I'd suggest nailing that down before actually trying to brew since it will become a nightmarish hassle if you don't.

As it is when I get my stand built there will be two pumps as well.

Whole hops (or bitter orange peel)+pump=bad brewing day
You can use a coarse hop bag, anything to keep the big crap out of the impellers.  I use pellets and have no issues with clogging, although I have not tried to recirculate anything with more than 40IBUs worth of hops.  When I do I'll probably use a hop bag for the bittering addition.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »
Name the pumps "Hans" and "Franz."  "Und ve just vant to pump... (clap) ...YOU UP!"  :P

Ok, I have 3 pumps, but one is a wimpy one just for the RIMS recirculation.  What should I name him?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:00 pm »
For me, once I started using a pump whole hops always go in a bag.  I've used large amounts of pellets unbagged without a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »
Pumps are heeled shoes with low cut fronts and usually no fastening, but can also be formal shoes for both genders. The type of women's shoe referred to as a pump is somewhat similar in overall shape to the handles of old-fashioned manual well pumps, possibly accounting for the name.

LMAO!
Ron Price

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:32:01 pm »

Ok, I have 3 pumps, but one is a wimpy one just for the RIMS recirculation.  What should I name him?
Ahnold.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 04:14:53 pm »

Ahnold.

Pump #1 = Hans
Pump #2 = Franz
Pump #3 = Girly Man!

"Pummella, Pummella, Pummella, Pummella!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »
Go against the grain....

PERISTALTIC
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:44:16 pm »
For me, once I started using a pump whole hops always go in a bag.  I've used large amounts of pellets unbagged without a problem.

Good to know. I use both as well and will be using bags for the whole hops.
Ron Price

Offline powhatan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:03 pm »
I bought two pumps but ended up only using one. I use whole hops exclusively in my blichmann boilmaker with hop screen without issue.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:45:37 am »
I bought two pumps but ended up only using one. I use whole hops exclusively in my blichmann boilmaker with hop screen without issue.

What material are you using for supply piping?
Ron Price