Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops with Cranberry  (Read 2036 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Hops with Cranberry
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:29:42 am »
I made a NE style IPA recently with fresh cranberries. It came out very well and I would love to make it in the fall to have ready around Thanksgiving. I used all "c" hops, which were fine, but I think the beer could be improved with some hops that go well with cranberry but I really am not well versed in hop varieties as most beers I make are not hop forward.
Thoughts?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hops with Cranberry
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:27:12 am »
Most of the 'fruity' varieties would help with bringing out the cranberry character IMO. I'm not always a huge El Dorado fan, but I think its sort of cherry/watermelon candy character would be a nice compliment. And Calypso's apple/pear character could go well, too. Past that, I think Mosaic (berry to me) and Lemon Drop would do nicely, too.
Jon H.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
Re: Hops with Cranberry
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:04:26 am »
I second the use of El Dorado.  I have friends who own a cranberry bog and give me bags of premium cranberries when in season.  I've made them a cranberry ale using El Dorado with the hops split for 1/3 of the bitterness at 60 minutes and the rest late hopped.  Crushed and froze the cranberries with just enough grain alcohol to cover, then added them in after 5 days of primary fermentation to steep for 7 more days.

Came out really nice with the cranberry coming through in the aroma and the finish, but not overpowering the beer.  The El Dorado seemed to add to the balance without being overly present or giving contradictory flavors.