Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stirring the fermenter  (Read 3329 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Stirring the fermenter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 06:57:42 am »
I'd be concerned with bad effects of keeping the yeast in a growth phase for that long. You may want to reinvigorate yeast growth with some o2 for super high gravity beers but for anything under 1.100 a healthy dose of aeration and an adequate pitch of viable yeast and a good should do the trick.

Be aware that excessive yeast growth in beer can cause problems with head retention and solventy flavors.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 09:48:53 am »
yeast produce ethanol and co2 when they go into anaerobic fermentation (e.g. without oxygen).  To keep adding oxygen is counter to that end.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

narvin

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:47 am »
I thought the crabtree effect meant that all growth in regular gravity wort was due to fermentation, and O2 was just used for building ergosterol and other during the process.  AKA there are no actual phases in fermentation unless you're propagating yeast at a very low gravity (< 1.010).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 11:51:34 am »
I thought the crabtree effect meant that all growth in regular gravity wort was due to fermentation, and O2 was just used for building ergosterol and other during the process.  AKA there are no actual phases in fermentation unless you're propagating yeast at a very low gravity (< 1.010).

AFAIK, you are correct.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »
I thought the use of O2 indicates respiration as opposed to fermentation, with no ethanol production during that time, due to the different pathway.

If I am wrong, I apologize.

BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »
I thought the use of O2 indicates respiration as opposed to fermentation, with no ethanol production during that time, due to the different pathway.

If I am wrong, I apologize.

The O2 is to synthesize sterols to keep cell walls flexible for budding.  And the Crabtree Effect states that in the presence of a >.05% glucose solution, like wort, fermentation begins immediately.  As Narvin pointed out, there are no distinct phases.  It all happens at once.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:40 pm »
Ok, thanks for the correction.
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline DrGMG

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 06:18:25 pm »