Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6 oz of hops  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
6 oz of hops
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »
Got an APA coming up soon. Planning to get all of my IBUs from bittering addition and will be using 5-6 oz split between flame out (no hop stand) and dry hop. My question is should I just use all as dry hops or split between dry hop and flame out? Preferences?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:47:44 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 6 oz of hops
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »
Got a hoppy APA coming up soon. Planning to get all of my IBUs from bittering addition and will be using 5-6 oz split between flame out (no hop stand) and dry hop. My question is should I just use all as dry hops or split between dry hop and flame out? Preferences?

Assuming you use 6 oz to split between stand and dry, I'd add 4 oz to the stand and dry hop 2 oz. I love hoppy APAs !  I normally stand 5 oz and dry hop 2.5 - 3 oz (5.5 gallon batch) for hoppy APA, but you'll make a good beer.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:03 pm »
Got a hoppy APA coming up soon. Planning to get all of my IBUs from bittering addition and will be using 5-6 oz split between flame out (no hop stand) and dry hop. My question is should I just use all as dry hops or split between dry hop and flame out? Preferences?

Assuming you use 6 oz to split between stand and dry, I'd add 4 oz to the stand and dry hop 2 oz. I love hoppy APAs !  I normally stand 5 oz and dry hop 2.5 - 3 oz (5.5 gallon batch) for hoppy APA, but you'll make a good beer.

So if I am just doing a standard flameout addition with no stand would you still recommend the same? I edited my original post to remove the 'hoppy' designation because it probably isn't enough to deserve that name
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:56:42 pm by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
Guess I misread, Chris - so you're wanting to skip the hop stand? Great flavor and little to no bitterness from a 170F hop stand. It'll be good regardless.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:04:11 pm »
Guess I misread, Chris - so you're wanting to skip the hop stand? Great flavor and little to no bitterness from a 170F hop stand. It'll be good regardless.

Well I am kind of back to experimenting and hoping to save a bit of time. My current APA is 2 oz at 20 min, 2 oz at 5 min and 1.5 oz dry hop. Some versions have turned out well depending on hop selection. Before I go back to hop stands I want to try keeping it simple and quick. I am keeping the amount of hops the same except trying a traditional bittering charge with magnum or bravo for 50 IBU.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:06:18 pm by goschman »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »
I brew an APA with about 4oz of hops and consider it hoppy. It's too bad that the extreme has become the standard when it comes to hoppyness. I like IPAs with 12-16oz per 5 gallons just fine, but IPAs with 6-7oz still have their place.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 06:12:32 pm »
I brew an APA with about 4oz of hops and consider it hoppy. It's too bad that the extreme has become the standard when it comes to hoppyness. I like IPAs with 12-16oz per 5 gallons just fine, but IPAs with 6-7oz still have their place.

That's kind of where I am at and trying to find my happy place between an APA and IPA. This one usually ends up right around 5.9% and 50 IBU so I am trying to walk the line.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 06:32:41 pm »

I don't disagree, Steve. When I brew a more tradtional APA I use more along the lines of what you're talking about. But lately I'm liking the niche a hoppy APA (I know it's subjective) fills - not as strong as an IPA, not as thin as a 1.045 'session IPA', hoppier than a more traditional APA. Just me.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:41:55 pm »
I get it, it's just "not enough hops" is as predictable as "did you measure twice three days apart." Not that you were pushing more hops, I was commenting on the OP removing hoppy from his post.

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:45:50 pm »
Got an APA coming up soon. Planning to get all of my IBUs from bittering addition and will be using 5-6 oz split between flame out (no hop stand) and dry hop. My question is should I just use all as dry hops or split between dry hop and flame out? Preferences?

Can I ask you all a question. What is a "hop stand"? I understand what flame-out is (though for me boiling on an electric coil the term is different) and I know what dry-hopping is but what the heck is a hop-stand?

Thanks.

Ready and drinking: California Common, Kolsch
Fermenting: Pale Ale

Offline Stevie

6 oz of hops
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:51:07 pm »
Hop stand = letting the wort sit after flameout. The temp varies based on intention and preference. I have used 170 and like the results. I chill to 170° and add the hops. I pump the entire time, others stir.

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 06:56:29 pm »
Hop stand = letting the wort sit after flameout. The temp varies based on intention and preference. I have used 170 and like the results. I chill to 170° and add the hops. I pump the entire time, others stir.

I think I did something similar when I brewed the Sierra Nevada clone that I have. But you tell me is this is similar.

Once I had turned off the heat and prepared my ice bath to cool the wort, I placed the last ounce of Cascade hop pellets into a muslin bag and placed that in the kettle once I ad immersed it into the ice bath. I did cover it but I did a stir with a sanitized spoon whenever I went to check temp.

Is that kind of the same thing?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »
That sounds more like a standard flameout addition. Hop stand with an ice bath would be tough, but not impossible.

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 07:03:28 pm »
That sounds more like a standard flameout addition. Hop stand with an ice bath would be tough, but not impossible.

Thanks, Stevie, but I will admit I am confused. Do I add the hops to the kettle while still on the stove for a hop stand? And what do you mean by "pump".

Appreciate the advice.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 07:17:15 pm »
You chill your wort to a certain temp, can vary from 120-190. Once the wort is at temp the hops are added and left to sit for a certain amount of time.

By pump I mean that I pump the wort from the kettle and back into it keeping the wort stirring for the entire stand. I like 170° for 20 minutes.