Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6 oz of hops  (Read 3248 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 6 oz of hops
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 09:11:42 am »
Got an APA coming up soon. Planning to get all of my IBUs from bittering addition and will be using 5-6 oz split between flame out (no hop stand) and dry hop. My question is should I just use all as dry hops or split between dry hop and flame out? Preferences?

So it sounds like you want a nice big punch of hop aroma with a classic 60 min. bittering addition correct?

If so, bitter at 60, then split 3 oz at 0 min, and 3 oz for dry hop. I think that would make a nice APA. You will probably even get some flavor from those 0 min hops as well unless you can chill super fast.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 12:51:12 pm »
That sounds more like a standard flameout addition. Hop stand with an ice bath would be tough, but not impossible.

Thanks, Stevie, but I will admit I am confused. Do I add the hops to the kettle while still on the stove for a hop stand? And what do you mean by "pump".

Appreciate the advice.
A "hop stand" just means holding your hops in the hot wort after the boil for a period of time while not actively chilling. It started out as a way to try to duplicate the results from pro brewers who add hops to their whirlpool prior to knocking out to their fermentors. By circulating the hops in the hot (but not boiling) wort, you extract a lot of the flavor and aroma components without boiling them off to a great extent. I find that a hop stand is the only way to get the hop flavor I'm looking for in my hoppy beers.

As homebrewers, we have the ability to perform this at a specific temperature to get the specific results we are shooting for. At temperatures above 170F, you will still isomerize alpha acids and increase IBU's to some extent. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to calculate how much bitterness will be added for your own brewing system. For this reason, many homebrewers like to chill their wort to 160-170F before beginning their hop stand. This minimizes the amount of bitterness added from this addition, so you can have better control of your bitterness (from an addition at the beginning of the boil) and your hop flavor/aroma (from your hop stand).

I know myself and others have starting experimenting with even cooler hop stands around 120F. The idea is that the cooler temps will volatilize less oils and preserve more aroma compounds. I do think that the aroma is different from a lower temp hop stand. I don't know if I've decided whether the lower temp hop stands are necessarily better, or just different. I do like what I get from it, and it will certainly be another tool in my toolbox in the future.

Regarding a pump, having the hops in circulation definitely increases the extraction of hop oils. If you aren't able to keep the wort circulating, you can just stir the wort every few minutes to keep it moving. You may find that you want to hold you hop stand a bit longer as well if you're really looking to max out extraction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 01:36:22 pm »
I think I will just do equal amounts at flame out and at dry hop. Going to do an ounce of Cascade, Comet, and Ahtanum at flameout then again at dry hop. Probably bittering with Bravo which is a hop I have not used in years. Going simple with everything else. 100% Golden Promise and US05
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »
Wow this beer is super pungent and has a strangely savory character to it. The aroma is great so I hope it comes together in a couple of weeks.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 07:26:03 am »
I brew an APA with about 4oz of hops and consider it hoppy. It's too bad that the extreme has become the standard when it comes to hoppyness. I like IPAs with 12-16oz per 5 gallons just fine, but IPAs with 6-7oz still have their place.
12-16 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch!
I don't think I ever saw a recipe like that.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
12-16 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch!
I don't think I ever saw a recipe like that.

That's what I do for every batch of IPA that I make.  I was just tweaking the recipe for my next brew, an IPA.  It has 12.5 oz.   I have gone over a pound, but my impression is that when I do that the beer tastes weird until it is about a month old then it shines.  It is like one hop flavor dominates (last time it was a lemon bomb).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:04:38 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »
That's what I do for every batch of IPA that I make.  I was just tweaking the recipe for my next brew, an IPA.  It has 12.5 oz.   I have gone over a pound, but my impression is that the beer tastes weird until it is about a month old then it shines. 

Yep, I resemble that, too.  12-16 is about right for my AIPA tastes.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »
That's what I do for every batch of IPA that I make.  I was just tweaking the recipe for my next brew, an IPA.  It has 12.5 oz.   I have gone over a pound, but my impression is that the beer tastes weird until it is about a month old then it shines. 

Same here. For 3 gallons, that is :D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:54 pm »

What he said.  Based on his advice, I used 14 oz of hops in my last IPA.  I tried a sample yesterday after a week in the bottle (I know, I know.....I'm impatient) and it is a helluva awesome IPA.  I camn only imagine it will get better after another 1-2 weeks in the bottle.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 11:54:30 pm »
My last beer, a fruit forward IPA, other than the FWH and 60 min bittering additions, I added my only other (late addition) hops at 2 minutes and then let the hops sit for 7 or 8 minutes after flameout without additional cooling of the wort, and stirred a couple times in that timeframe.  The hops were in a suspended 5-gal paint strainer bag, so after the 8 minutes and just before chilling the wort I twirled the hop bag and squeezed it pretty well with tongs when removing it, and I like the samples I've tried of the finished beer, although the kegs aren't tapped yet -  tons of hop flavor + some managed bitterness but not at all jaw slacking.

It did save some time.  I had calculated 50 IBUs and tastes right in that ballpark.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:01:20 am by brewsumore »

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 01:59:56 pm »
I've only used 16oz when I did a Pliney clone once and wasn't that impressed with the hoppyness. I just brewed a batch with 8oz hoping the timed additions come out well. Think I will bumped the next to 12oz and see how I like it.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 06:23:19 am »

Yeah. That's about right. I've used 22 oz before in a 5 gallon batch. I just did a 16 oz whirlpool addition in my last 11 gallon IPA batch. So it ended up being 21 oz in the kettle, which is the most I've ever had in the kettle. I had a lot of sludge, but I'd certainly do it again! 6 oz will go into each keg for dry hops.
Frank

Offline molokomalt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
Not sure about the science behind this but their are delicious and aromatic compounds in hops that can boil away if hops are added to high heat for too long.  This is why I typically only do bittering (.5oz), flame out (1oz), and post-boil 170-180F additions (4oz). 

I'm not a big bitter-guy but I try to avoid getting the grassy hop flavor/aroma.  So far this strategy has worked well with my pale ales.  4 ounces of Nelson Sauvin in post boil with 4 more ounces in dry-hop along with 3.5lbs of frozen blackberries.

Cheers