Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit w/ Brett  (Read 2378 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Fruit w/ Brett
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:52 pm »
I brewed an extract Saison recipe with both Pils and Wheat ME.  I fermented using a mix of 3711 and WL Saison 2.  I was planning to transfer about 3 gallons of this batch into secondary with the Yeast Bay Brett Amalgamation and peaches.  My question is if I should add the fruit at the beginning when I pitch the brett and let the brett work on it?  Normally this would be fairly simple with a fruited beer and sac but since Brett takes time just wondered if that is still fine to have that extended stay on fruit.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fruit w/ Brett
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
I say work on the harder/complex wort before adding the simple/less complex fruit to ferment.  I treat it much like Belgians.  I add my sugar after the yeast works out the majority of the beer is done, then pitch rack to fruit or dump into the primary.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:43:34 am »
Plan out how long you expect to age the beer with brett and add the fruit during the last 6-8 weeks.

If you aren't sure how long you want to age the beer then pitch brett and once you're happy with the flavor then add the fruit for 6-8 weeks.

I'm not concerned with brett's ability to chew through whatever you throw at it but sitting on the fruit for longer just means you're losing some of the freshness of the fruit. FWIW I would look for heirloom or other particularly flavorful peaches for the beer. My experience with the normal grocery store varieties has been underwhelming.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:45:10 am »
Plan out how long you expect to age the beer with brett and add the fruit during the last 6-8 weeks.

If you aren't sure how long you want to age the beer then pitch brett and once you're happy with the flavor then add the fruit for 6-8 weeks.

I'm not concerned with brett's ability to chew through whatever you throw at it but sitting on the fruit for longer just means you're losing some of the freshness of the fruit. FWIW I would look for heirloom or other particularly flavorful peaches for the beer. My experience with the normal grocery store varieties has been underwhelming.

Thanks for this advice. I am going to put the beer in secondary w/ the brett, I bet it wont be too long to age on Brett. Then adding peaches later, I have access to good varieties I've frozen from my parents trees.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:37 pm »
Added Yeast Bay Brett Blend to just under 3 gallons of the saison about a month and a half ago.  A nice pellicle formed, not much for the beer to chew on because I primary fermented with 3711. I may add the fruit in a few weeks after taking a taste.