Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO 2 Questions  (Read 4060 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: CO 2 Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »
I get 3-4 months out of my 5 pound tanks.
That's pushing 5 kegs at a time and pushing cleaning fluids through the kegs and beer lines.
I also leave my tank on at all times.

That's pretty similar to what I get. Multiple kegs, and I push cleaning fluids and leave kegs connected, too.

Edit -  I'm pretty OCD with record keeping, too.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »
Wow! Do others get that much out of a tank?

I get about 8 months out a of 10 lb. tank.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:47:49 pm »
I turn off the CO2 in case I have a leak.    I believe that rising stem valves like those used on gas tanks will leak unless fully open or fully closed.

I do the same and have the same understanding regarding the valve.  I don't know that they "will" leak, but it's more likely.

I would go ahead and get a 20lb or 15lb tank.  Chances are it costs the same per fill as the 5lb.  At least it does over by here.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »
I turn off the CO2 in case I have a leak.    I believe that rising stem valves like those used on gas tanks will leak unless fully open or fully closed.

I do the same and have the same understanding regarding the valve.  I don't know that they "will" leak, but it's more likely.

I would go ahead and get a 20lb or 15lb tank.  Chances are it costs the same per fill as the 5lb.  At least it does over by here.
Without seeing the inside, is it possible that there are seals that don't engage if not fully open? There is never a reason to open part way as it will not control the pressure.

My MoreBeer manifold leaks if I don't have the valve partly closed (or part open for the optimists). I noticed by mistake when I knocked one and it started hissing.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 04:20:42 pm »

Without seeing the inside, is it possible that there are seals that don't engage if not fully open? There is never a reason to open part way as it will not control the pressure.

My MoreBeer manifold leaks if I don't have the valve partly closed (or part open for the optimists). I noticed by mistake when I knocked one and it started hissing.

I assume it works like a gate valve or a faucet valve.  When full open or full closed the washers are compressed and seal better.  The stem goes through the washer, so without compression you could lose gas.  Pretty much every plumbing shut-off valve I have dealt with will drip from the stem in a part-open or part-closed scenario.  Full-open/closed and there are no leaks.

At least that's my layman's description...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton