Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Doctoring an insipid cream ale  (Read 2918 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Doctoring an insipid cream ale
« on: June 24, 2016, 06:43:41 pm »
I wanted to experiment with an all-extract cream ale... My process is good, so it's clean, but it's insipid. (Pilsner LME + rice solids + Saaz + Safale05)  I recently did a partial-mash cream ale and I can really taste the difference.

It's been in primary for two weeks. I can keg it this weekend or next, or I could doctor it a bit. That could include adding fruit peel or puree. It's stone fruit season in California, and we're into strawberry season as well, so I could puree and pasteurize some tasty fruit pretty easily--I made a strawberry sorbet last week that really popped. I'm open to fruit flavors -- I've enjoyed Grapefruit Sculpin and (less so) Pineapple Sculpin, and I like Magic Hat Number 9. But I also don't want something I end up spitting out, as I did when I had Anchor's Mango Wheat, where the flavor felt forced.

With my next batch I'm going back to all-grain, but I don't think I want to blend.

Thoughts?

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Doctoring an insipid cream ale
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:07:43 am »
How about dry hopping it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:30 am »
*slaps forehead* That's so obvious and yet, my brain never went there. Thanks Denny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:34:57 am »
*slaps forehead* That's so obvious and yet, my brain never went there. Thanks Denny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You were trying hard to make it more difficult, so I went pragmatic....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »
If it's insipid, a touch of lactic acid to drop the final pH may be all it needs. To me, insipid just means "needs acid".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 10:23:50 am »
If it's insipid, a touch of lactic acid to drop the final pH may be all it needs. To me, insipid just means "needs acid".

I was thinking along the lines of this as well. Say goodbye to flab with a bit of acid!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:19:17 am »

I was thinking along the lines of this as well. Say goodbye to flab with a bit of acid!

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member