Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding fruit to beers  (Read 2677 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Re: Adding fruit to beers
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:20:19 am »
Any of you guys have experience with fresh mangos?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »
No. But I do know you can get a mango puree to work with that might be a better bang for your buck. You don't get much fruit off a single mango and they aren't cheap.  Maybe consider buying frozen mango where it is already chopped up and ready to go. Probably cheaper still than buying whole mangos and going through the pain in the ass of trying to get all the fruit off each one.

Offline austin6455

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone! Y'all have been really helpful!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:53 pm »
Any of you guys have experience with fresh mangos?

I've used frozen mangos before. 3 lbs per 5 gallons in a citra pale ale worked great! Pureed in a food processor first.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:27 pm »
I agree with all this, in other words it depends. My other big hobby is growing and foraging food so I use a lot of fresh fruit in season. I have not used purees but I would use them over supermarket fruit because they are made with ripe fresh fruit, at least the good ones should be. I think the very best option is ripe, whole fruit grown yourself or by a local farmer in season. The stuff at a supermarket is bred for shelf life and storage, its the worst choice for beer.
Lately I found that making my own purees using a macerating vegetable juicer is awesome. You end up with bits of all the fruit, including the oils. It makes less mess than whole fruit and also puts the most flavor in contact with the beer.
Pete, do you have a recommendation for this macerating vegetable juicer? Wife's bday is this weekend and I know she wants a juicer. Something that can do double duty and properly prepare fruit for the occasional fruit brew sounds like a win/win to me
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:52:14 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)