Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False bottom height  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
False bottom height
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:41 am »
So I ordered a level 2 false bottom http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Keg_Conversion_False_Bottom_Bottom_Draining_Level_2_Stand.php from Norcal brewing and went to install it. I discovered that the stand holds the false bottom off the bottom of the keg by about an inch.
I feel the urge to cut the stand so that the false bottom sits close to or touches the bottom of the keg turned mash tun.
Is this the way to go? does it matter? will I end up with alot of grain under the main part of the false bottom?
how do you have your false bottom set up?
I usually move about with confidence when building out/adding to my brewery but this one has got me scratching my head...

side note: I wanted to place the dip tube low to minimize losses, but wanted to maintain maximum flow so I did area calculations on the ID of the dip tube and then calculated the area available to feed the dip tube at several different heights above the bottom of the keg to determing the best gap size lol..(based on dip tube circumference and height from bottom of Keg)
anyone else get that crazy with their mods??
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: False bottom height
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:10:04 am »
You want a tight fit between the false bottom and the keg. That is what keeps the grain above the false bottom.

This is similar to one of my false bottoms. It sets high.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom-wsupports_p_1010.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:27:17 am »
I have a folding false bottom from Sabco that looks like yours, but without the extra support ring.  It is designed to fit into the lowest part of the keg before the slope.  I doubt yours will go any lower.  I like the extra support thing, though, because my pump will sometimes bend the false bottom if the grain bed has compacted too much.  When bent it will allow some grain to pass by and get under it.
The hole for my dip tube is in the center, the deepest part of the keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »
Thanks all, good info. The FB also sits a bit away from the walls of the vessel so I seems I should chop that stand up and get The FB to sit flat. Was hoping to keep my grinder out of this matter...
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA