Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally....  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Finally....
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:45:26 pm »
So, I got laid off from my last job on January 7, 6 months to the day after I came home from work one day to discover my wife had packed up an left, and had to get rid of most everything I had to be able to move back to NC, since I could not afford to live in Texas anymore. For the last 6 months, I have been sending out Resumes, and had a few interviews that went nowhere. Needless to say, I have been feeling pretty useless, and hopeless for a while. Tonight I just finished doing a two day Stage with an Italian restaurant (the owners parents were the ones that opened Tony's Pizza in Endicott, NY), and I was offered and have accepted a position as Head Chef/Kitchen Manager, and will be returning to work on Wednesday. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of me, and I can start getting my life back in order slowly. The last two days I have felt more alive than I have for months. Just had to share this with someone.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Finally....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:48 pm »
Glad to hear it. I hope things are on the way up from here.
Jon H.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:04:48 pm »
Glad to hear it. I hope things are on the way up from here.

Thanks.  I think it can only go up from here.  The last year has sucked, but I have found a new hobby in Brewing.  Things will get better, but I am going to keep seeing a therapist at the VA, so I don't slide back to where I was about 15 years ago.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Congrats Erik,  I spent 5 months back in 2011 on unemployment looking for a new restaurant gig after being with 1 company for 14 years. This was just 2 years after buying my first house and I was so house poor I was miserable. Finally found a job near my girlfriend and did a short sale on the house after 11 months paying on it and living with her  hours away. Very stressful 2-3 years. Still digging myself out of that hole, but I have never been as happy as I am with her. She reminds me that without losing that job, we would likely not still be together 5 years later. So in the end, things turned around for me and have been great. Good luck with the new gig, and remember there is a reason for everything and you have gotten through it. Well done!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:36:18 am »
Sharing requires courage. I'll drink a beer to your good fortune tonight.  Cheers!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:25:31 am »
Wow! rough year. glad to hear things are turning around.

It's been a while since I've had to do an interview and I always hated it but I never had to do a two day interview. way to go.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:03:52 am »
Congratulations, Erik. I can't believe you wife just packed up and left. I so don't envy the married life and all it's rigors. I'm sure it's wonderful and charming and all when it's a good marriage, but there's so much on the line...why even bother. You either didn't see it coming or she is a major headcase and kept it bottled up.

Either way, glad that things are improving for you! It's good to get a little hope back in your life. I spent the last 2 years in a pretty rough place, mentally. I broke up with my girlfriend of almost 3 years, we were living together, she moved out, and we spent the last 2 years teetering between talking and maybe going to get back together and not talking and being upset with each other. Now it's finally over and she wants nothing to do with me anymore. Relationships suck, man. Live for yourself, you don't need someone to fill a void in your life. I feel like people are programmed/indoctrinated while growing up to think they need to find someone, get married, have kids, blah blah blah. You see all the people on dating sites searching for that special someone that will fill the void in their lonely pathetic lives...I know because I spent time on there...it's sad. I ditched that mentality and am working to be happy on my own and if someone comes along, great, if not...oh well. I can still live a fulfilling life as a single person.

Alright, I'm off my soapbox... Good luck at your new gig and prost!
Jesse

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:24 am »
Congrats Erik!

I can truly empathize.  I just started my new job this past Monday after being laid off in March.  My old company closed down our entire product group, laying off ~95 people and closing 2 offices, outsourcing the code.  No one in those two locations was spared.  It has been very depressing.  It was the very first time I was without a job since I was a teenager and I'm 52 now.  I am so glad to be back to work at a fantastic (& profitable!) company now, with lots of room for growth.  I feel like a new person.

I wish you the very best of luck in your new job.  Enjoy it and make the most of it!
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge