Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baseball 2016  (Read 23214 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Baseball 2016
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »
It's pretty hard for one team, forget two, to get to the WS two years in a row. Both teams have a lot of young players which sounds good but most players have a difficult year after breaking out early in their career as opponents find and exploit their weakness. Add to that injuries and what other teams do to strengthen their own teams and it's really hard. I remember when I was a kid back in the seventies when it was more likely to repeat with fewer teams etc the Red Sox were thought to be a shoo in to eventually win after the classic 75 series.Rice and Lynn were rookies, Evans, Fiske, Carbo, Tiant were all young but it never happened. Bucky Effing Dent !

Yeah, no doubt. I'm not under any illusion that it's gonna be a yearly thing by any means. Just too many variables and just plain luck sometimes to win championships. But I do like Theo's track record and I like Joe Maddon, so I'm just glad to have the Cubs be legitimately in the mix for the near future.

Edit -  Joe, you gotta take the kids! Wish I could be there.
Growing up a Boston fan, I gotta admit it's been pretty cool having the local teams in the running year in and year out for the last 15 years. But actual championships are special and should not be taken for granted.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2016, 06:55:41 am »
I walked past the ballpark today on the way back from a meeting.  There's still crowds everywhere.  Murphys and the Sports Corner were full, not packed but full, at about 2:30. Some pretty cool energy in the air.  The chalk wall is pretty cool.  Debating whether or not I take the kids to the parade tomorrow.  That might be a total mess.

Definitely take them in case it's another 108 years before the next one :)

I got to see the Patriots Superbowl parade back in 2002, but then I was working in Boston at the time so it was easy to get to (i.e. right across the street).  Got a great picture of Tedy Bruschi pointing at me when I took the picture!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2016, 07:57:28 am »
MLB at bat uninstalled from my phone. Tired of reading about it all now that the Tribe lost

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sorry, no sympathies, mate. Your team has at least BEEN to a World Series in the last 71 years. Cubs were juuuuuuuuuust a little more deserving this year.
Jesse

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2016, 08:23:19 am »
Not looking for sympathy. Helluva series. Just posting about the app. It was annoying even during the series

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2016, 09:45:09 am »
Not looking for sympathy. Helluva series. Just posting about the app. It was annoying even during the series

It really was a great series. Cubs won it in the toughest of scenarios. I'm still in a state of shock and awe, just unbelievable. At least Bartman is overjoyed... Moises Alou was an a$$hole then. Bartman didn't blow it, the Cubs blew it big time in 2003.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »
Well, congrats to the cubs.  Better than the Red Sox winning... now you just need to make sure your fanbase doesn't become as obnoxious as theirs.  ;D

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
Well, congrats to the cubs.  Better than the Red Sox winning... now you just need to make sure your fanbase doesn't become as obnoxious as theirs.  ;D

:P  ;D

Edit:  I just looked at my profile and I registered on this forum exactly 7 years ago today...can't believe it's been around that long.  Time flies for sure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:53:50 pm by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2016, 01:52:33 pm »
I hope not, man. I just hope fans are grateful, I know I am. Not going to be a douche about it. I suppose if someone still brings up the curse and blah blah blah, I might just point to the 2016 WS and say, "hey, how 'boutchya shut up about that sh*t?"
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2016, 01:56:31 pm »
happy for cubs fans and chicago. losing sucks but there's not a better team to lose against.

bet the parade today was crazy.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2016, 04:13:25 pm »

Took two. The third wouldn't go. Saw the parade in wrigley this morning. Grabbed the kids and took the train downtown for the rally. Missed it but the crowd was amazing. Went back to wrigley and saw some of the players leaving. Th kids had a magical day. And oh yeah I dumped some cash on shirts and sweat shirts.  And pint glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2016, 04:33:04 pm »
Awesome Joe! Memories for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »
Very cool, Joe. Watched it on tv.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »
Oh yeah! Nice work, Joe! A friend of mine said he went down Friday and made a point to go to Wrigley to see the "Cubs Win the World Series" sign in front of Wrigley. I'm still in the I-can't-believe-it state of mind. The full reality of it hasn't hit yet. Still waiting for those tears to come. They will.

On another note, did anyone catch SNL on Saturday? Two pretty ridiculous skits with Sexy Dexy, Rizzo, and Grandpa Rossy. The singing one with Bill Murray was the better of the two obviously. The bachelorette one was just weird!
Jesse