Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting wage for Cellar position?  (Read 12620 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Starting wage for Cellar position?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
I'm gonna refrain from any political comments but I get a kick out of watching the tangents some of these threads take. Of course since I'm a serial 'derailer', I'm part of the problem.   :)
Well, if you're not part of the problem, you're not part of the forum.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 04:42:59 pm »
I'm gonna refrain from any political comments but I get a kick out of watching the tangents some of these threads take. Of course since I'm a serial 'derailer', I'm part of the problem.   :)
Well, if you're not part of the problem, you're not part of the forum.

Yep!
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »
Hey, I have a question about Red X. Is this the appropriate place to ask?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2016, 04:54:25 pm »
Hey, I have a question about Red X. Is this the appropriate place to ask?

I think it goes under 'Yeast'. 
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »
Actually Jon I don't think this thread is derailed. The question was asked and answered and now we have been talking about why the answer is what it is. It would be pretty boring if the first person answered $10/hr and that was the thread.
BTW the best Munich Helles are made with Kolsch yeast.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »
Actually Jon I don't think this thread is derailed. The question was asked and answered and now we have been talking about why the answer is what it is. It would be pretty boring if the first person answered $10/hr and that was the thread.

I don't disagree, Pete. I was kidding around. I think the thread walked the line but didn't get overtly poilitical.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2016, 10:18:25 pm »
Yes. For optimal flavor I oxygenate my Helles at packaging time as well ;)

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2016, 11:06:07 pm »
I hope you all realize that you're going to be burned at the stake at the next inquisition?

Just sayin...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »
I hope you all realize that you're going to be burned at the stake at the next inquisition?

Just sayin...
What do inquisitors make these days?

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2016, 02:20:35 am »

Just sayin...
If you think that was bad, you should've seen what went down when I told my boss that outsourcing software projects to China is a sure way to destroy productivity, quality and efficiency. There's a mob following me with pitchforks ;)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 05:28:20 am »

I don't disagree, Pete. I was kidding around. I think the thread walked the line but didn't get overtly poilitical.
I think a big part of whether or not it's OK to walk the line is whether it's done in a civil way or not. Getting a little political but politely might be better than being rude and personal about German brewing techniques.
BTW what ever happened to the rules about politics, race etc? I looked at them a couple weeks ago when someone brought up religion and couldn't find them here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32.0
Are there rules in two places?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:31 am »

I think a big part of whether or not it's OK to walk the line is whether it's done in a civil way or not. Getting a little political but politely might be better than being rude and personal about German brewing techniques.
BTW what ever happened to the rules about politics, race etc? I looked at them a couple weeks ago when someone brought up religion and couldn't find them here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32.0
Are there rules in two places?

I agree, Pete. I didn't see anything offensive whatsoever. And FWIW I agree with the things you said. As for the rules, they could stand to be updated to specifically address politics, religion, etc. But the final (bold) paragraph I assume acts as the catch-all.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:42 am »
Personal opinion:

I don't really want to see a bunch of politics on the forum. Having said that, "No Politics" is the most political thing one can say. Freedom of speech and whatnot... But this forum isn't really the public square, so we AHA members do have the right to regulate what's on our forum.

The trouble with just saying "no politics" is that in this country its hard sometimes to say what politics is. The government is involved in every facet of our lives, so it makes it hard at times to discuss something without being perceived as making a political statement. For example, im not sure nowadays that it would be appropriate to discuss how many bathrooms a tap room should have...

It seems to me that discussing beer and brewing related issues, even on the business side, should be allowed so long as candidates, officials and political ideologies are avoided, and that inflammatory comments are not allowed. A peaceful discussion about how much a brewery employee should get paid should not be banned. Or polite civil discussion of environmental impact of brewing, or ingredients issues, etc.

The bottom line, however, needs to be the advancement of homebrewing and preservation of this great forum. A healthy combo of being considerate and thick skinned might cure most ills.

Personal opinion

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:17 pm »

Just sayin...

Not very much, but they get nice red uniforms.

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2016, 09:31:04 am »

Just sayin...

Depends on whether they get tips.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing