Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Date and Location.  (Read 4876 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: 2017 NHC Date and Location.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 03:20:13 am »
I might have to go there.

It would be great to see you!  Although NHC is ostensibly about beer, for me it's really, about seeing friends.

Totally agree. And, I would add, making new friends.
Ralph R.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 09:32:00 am »
Yeah, I think we still have a few legal issues to work out in TX, though I'm not that up on pouring laws at festivals, etc.

There's a number of problems here just with homebrew. The TABC requires bills of lading on all homebrew leaving homes for pouring at events and any organized tasting or event requires that everybody in attendance be members of a club. TABC also has problems with commercial beer and homebrew being served at the same time or as part of the same event.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:35:29 am »
Yeah, I think we still have a few legal issues to work out in TX, though I'm not that up on pouring laws at festivals, etc.

There's a number of problems here just with homebrew. The TABC requires bills of lading on all homebrew leaving homes for pouring at events and any organized tasting or event requires that everybody in attendance be members of a club. TABC also has problems with commercial beer and homebrew being served at the same time or as part of the same event.
Anyone aware of a lobbying effort to remedy this? I live in Austin and would be happy to help out.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:14 pm »
Maybe the AHA? I am not aware of any major lobbying efforts on that point. The bill of lading isn't that big of a deal (it's just filling out a form) and having people sign up to be a member of a club at the front door of an event isn't that big of a deal (also just filling out a form) but prohibitive for a large event like NHC.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 02:32:10 pm »
Is it safe to assume that the 2017 NHC will be held at the convention center.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 07:17:59 pm »
Is it safe to assume that the 2017 NHC will be held at the convention center.
It is safe to say it won't be at the hotel in Bloomfield.  :D
Yeah, I don't know with certainty, but think downtown convention center with 3000+ Capacity, and surrounding hotels.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35:58 am »
After confirming that Southwest flies there, I am pretty likely to attend next year.  Surly needs to brew the souvenir beer and name it "You Can't Be Serious".

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:25 am »
Maybe the AHA? I am not aware of any major lobbying efforts on that point. The bill of lading isn't that big of a deal (it's just filling out a form) and having people sign up to be a member of a club at the front door of an event isn't that big of a deal (also just filling out a form) but prohibitive for a large event like NHC.

The AHA will help state organizations but not lead the charge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 03:19:22 pm »

Isn't the AHA already a club?

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 03:51:16 pm »

Yeah, it looks like this is the playbook.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/

I'll search the database mentioned there and see if there's anything already going on some of these fronts. I should probably also check in with the Zealots here to see if anyone is trying to take care of any obstacles to hosting NHC here.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 08:28:25 pm »

I'll search the database mentioned there and see if there's anything already going on some of these fronts. I should probably also check in with the Zealots here to see if anyone is trying to take care of any obstacles to hosting NHC here.
I love Traveling to Austin! Hope the hotel prices are not prohibitive.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:26 am »

Isn't the AHA already a club?

Nope

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:26 am »

Having worked with the AHA to get the laws here in OR changed, I'm pretty well versed in how it works.    Good luck on your efforts!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:53 am »

Have you met the Zealots?  lol  That being said, I'd love to see the NHC in Austin.  Generally the legality part that excludes or complicates locations is the mix of commercial and homebrewed beer served onsite (honestly the commercial/homebrew segregation in San Diego was annoying).  I think one significant hurdle with TABC is that they require everyone serving beer to be certified.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:33:47 pm »
Check with Debbie Cerda - she was working the issues in the past.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison