Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 32899 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:12 am »
I could care less about NASCAR, but that sounds totally cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »
I've been brewing since 2000, so almost ten years... just as long as I've been married.  I'm  44 with a boy (8) girl (5) and dog named spike (5).  I currently work as a chemist for a technology company in the greater Chicago area and was previously a biology professor, food scientist, pharmeceutical chemist, and archaeologist (really). 

I have a 3 tier 10 gallon system made almost entirely out of cast offs and give-aways, and an orange mash tun, but have been using my stainless mash tun for the last few batches.  I brew outdoors, so it may be back to the orange one going into winter.  The last couple of years I have been experimenting with barrel aging, and I currently have 3-10gallon and 1-15 gallon oak barrels (although they were all bargains, with my total investment fairly small). 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »
Without fear of admitting the color of my neck,

Man, that took me a few seconds.  ;D  ???

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2009, 02:52:28 pm »
My name is Ben and I've just started extract brewing. I only have two 5-gallon batches under my belt but I have a new found passion that is starting to take over all my spare time (which doesn't bother me one bit). I plan on going all grain in about a year or so, I still need to get my feet wet and learn more about the basic principles of brewing. I just turned 26 and work as a brick and stone mason in western New York. I'm married with an 11 month old son who will eventually become my brewing apprentice. I have the feeling that this will be a great place for me to learn and interact with other home brewers.

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2009, 08:02:39 pm »
My name's Dave.  I'm 41, been brewing off and on for about 8 years.  I'm in the USAF, so my brewing gets interrupted by change of station or deployments, but otherwise I brew about once month/6 weeks.  I got into homebrewing after my mother-in-law bought me a kit for Christmas.  This has turned out to be extremely useful, because I remind my wife that it's her mom's fault every time I get a "comment" about brewing beer.

I have two kids (a boy 5 and a girl 19 months) and a wife which dominate my weekend time, plus having that much more homebrew would make me fat.  I brewed extract only the first four years I brewed, then switched to partial mash for 3 years, and last year I started all-grain brewing.  Since I partial-mashed for so long, I thought going AG would be easy, but I have learned over the last couple three batches that you have to be more precise.  I like all kinds of beer, but since I brew fairly infrequently I usually stick to IPA and pale ale.

I grew up in South Jersey and currently live in the opposite of New Jersey, which is Idaho.  Philadelphia Eagles are my team.  Besides brewing beer, i like to cook, snow ski, and play golf.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:26:48 pm by Podo »
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2009, 10:17:55 am »
Name's Harold, live in central Maine and have been brewing since Jan 2002.
Was an extract/steeping grains brewer for the first six years and started doing all grain a year ago.
Other hobbies include hunting, fishing, x-country skiing, motorcycles and photography.
I got into homebrewing when my youngest daughter bought a TrueBrew homebrewing kit for me for Christmas. I remember tearing the paper off the box and thinking to myself "What the hell am I going to do with this?" since homebrewing had never crossed my mind.
Best thing that happened to my brewing is when my wife told me to get out of the kitchen and gave me permission to set up a brewing area in the cellar!
I've been married for 40 years, have two daughters who are both out of the house and off my payroll.
I've been working in the social services field for 39 years, in administration for the past 33 years. Expect to retire in about 4 years!
I've put membership in the Association on my Christmas list but if it doesn't show up in my stocking, I'll do it myself.
I've been on the B3 board for about 5 years as Maineac.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »
Just found this topic-

I agree, this is a great and helpful community.  I have recently put together my all grain equipment and will be doing my first all grain batch in two weeks-thanks to everyone's advice.

Info-45 yo, married to a Brit with a 14 yo daughter.  In 1990 in between years of grad school, I was looking to spend the summer with my wife in England as she completed her education.  I was hired to work in a pub in England.  I was able to live in the pub without charge, have free beer, food and 50 pounds a week.  I was responsible for signing for the beer delivery and rotating the cask ales (as well as tending pub four nights a week).  It was also the summer of the World Cup.  Now that's an experience.

I began extract brewing when I moved from New England to AZ in '94.  I stopped in about '98.  We moved to Bend, OR.  I went to the Little Woody Festiva (http://www.thelittlewoody.com/) l in September of 2009 and was inspired to go back to brewing.  My local homebrew supply shop and club have been a great asset.  So with all their, and your, support I am about to dive into all grain. 

I work as a Hospice Social Worker here in Central Oregon and am incredibly impressed by the availability of craft beer and homebrewing advice...

A big shout out to my local shop-The Home Brew Shop http://www.homesuds.com/

Bill

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2010, 07:23:09 pm »
I'm Al...and I'm a home brewer.

I started brewing in summer of 1971 during the college years  and have pretty much continued since then, most especially after moving to all grain in the mid 1980's.  I've been in show-bizzz  throughout all of my adolescence and adult life, working variously as an actor, a voiceover guy, a puppeteer/puppetmaker, a standup comic, and a musician/composer. 

Oh...And very briefly, as a pizza chef.   
(In other words, anything for a buck...ya does what ya gots to do...)

I've always been a fan of good beer and have always sought it out, right from the beginning (the first sixpacks I bought for myself 42 or 43 years ago were  a bock beer and an IPA). 
And although I came to the forums rather late, I've enjoyed them a great deal and am delighted to still be picking up little gems of information to make brewing better and easier.   
You really never stop learning.

My favorite beers are on exact opposite ends of the flavor spectrum:   IPA and Wee Heavy.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2010, 05:40:12 am »
Matt from Minneapolis here, 35/married with my first child (Madeline) just being born about three weeks ago.  I'm a small wholesale business owner and have lived in the twin cities my whole life.  For about three years befor it happened I would tell my wife "I need a hobby" since she was in school, and I needed something to pass some time.  Her mom's fiancee had started brewing about a year earlier, and decided to give me a Mr. Beer for Christmas that year (2006).  I brewed four batches on the MB system, ranging from bad to worse and he (mom's fiancee) had moved into larger better batches by now, so I decide to get the old Ale Pale setup.  With the more traditional setup I brewed three more extract batches and three partial mashes before venturing into all grain.  My first all grain beer was a New Glarus Spotted Cow clone that I gave the recipe to be filled (and crushed) at my LHBS (Midwest), I am thinking that he replaced the flaked barley with roasted barley and the beer that came out of the fermenter wass much darker, but still damn tasty.  Fast forward to now I am brewing batch #59 today after brewing for three and a half years and two drain pours later, I'm making simple and damn good beers.

Oh...and I did do an experimental All Grain batch of a Chocolate Cayenne Stout with my Mr. Beer system just to prove I could, my only regret with that experiment is that there wasn't enough of it :)
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2010, 09:00:13 am »
that sounds like an interesting beer, do you still have the recipe for it?

boulderbrewer

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »
Better late than never Professor!

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2010, 08:04:23 pm »
I brewed again this past weekend, did a 10 gallon batch of bavarian hefe.  was really nice to go through the process again, hit target OG on the dot. 

I have not brewed since October last year, and it had been a while since before that.  I'm thinking I might do a belgium triple next month.  humm, maybe.  why the hell not? 

been hell at work.  good lord I hope we get that damn well capped soon.  anyway, glad to see so many familiar faces. 

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:50 pm »
Hello, I'm Andy, 32, and well I have been reading the forum for a while, so I guess I'll contribute…

Me and a few buddies home brewed a few times in college around 2002-2003, but have only seriously been at it for a couple years, although my adult beverage making really goes back to high school where I did make about 15 gallons of wine from wild grapes growing near my parents’ place.  ::)     I grew up in the marsh of SW Louisiana on the gulf south of Lake Charles, went to college in Monroe, LA, moved up to Duluth, MN, and I am currently in South Florida where I work at the National Weather Service in Miami. I am married (5yrs) and have a 2 yr old very active son along with 2 cats and a siberian husky. My brewing partner is my wife who likes to make oatmeal stouts and ipas, and I can’t blame her. I also only have 7 ag brews under my belt, and I’m sorry, my cooler is not blue.
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:51 am »
that sounds like an interesting beer, do you still have the recipe for it?

Who? Me?

If your talking about the Chocolate Cayenne Stout, I could probably dig the recipe up, I think I may have put it on Tasty Brew, but there are a couple of changes I would make.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:36 am »
Bugger, I guess its time I got around to posting!  I've read through this whole post on two occasions with the express purpose of figuring out if I've posted something heretofore.

Name's Nic as one might be led to believe, 28, been married about 8 years, have a sweet (and somewhat crazy) almost-two-year-old daughter.  I work as an IT jack-of-all-trades for a small manufacturing company in Kansas City.  Do a lot of work with USB camera development, which is rather fun.  Originally hail from Pasadena, CA, and half of my wife's and half of my family are still moored out there, so we enjoy visiting every other year or so. 

Hobbies include brewing...in that respect I was heavily influenced by Charlie Papazian, whose books were the first ones I read on homebrewing, and thus I am much more an experimental homebrewer that tries really weird ideas like wheat beer/cider hybrids, fortified meads, smoked beers of all kinds, and basically anything weird and strange interests me.  Some have been great, some have been learning experiences!  Also cooking is a big hobby, and I haunt the cooking boards here.  I used to enjoy shooting and gunsmithing related stuff a bit, haven't done much in the past few years thanks to cost of the hobby. 

Music would be the other hobby...mostly working as a bassist (in between gigs at the moment, outside of a weekly church gig) and prefer jazz/funk/r&b, but have played gone back and forth between guitar and bass as my primary instrument, depending on what's needed when.  Have built a half-dozen guitars and basses for myself and others, but that's another hobby that's gone by the wayside due to expense! 

Lastly, am a committed Anglophile who reluctantly admits that, had I been born 250 years ago, I might very well have been counted among the Loyalists on this side of the pond, though with the blessings of hindsight I'm rather pleased to be born here rather than there! Great fan of Python, Douglas Adams, and particularly P.G. Wodehouse, and the various works of Fry and Laurie (including the Blackadder series) still amuse me.  Throw W.C. Fields movies in there as well, something I inherited from my father's family.