Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 32835 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »
What????

I SAID I STILL HAVE MY HEARING IN... Oh never mind! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »
UPDATED 5/7/10:

My name is Matt and I'm 31 years old, married, and have one child.  I'm an attorney working on behalf of a state agency.

I've been brewing since November 2005.  I brewed three or four extract batches w/grain and then moved to partial mashing.  Starting at about batch ten, I went all-grain.  I just brewed batch 71 last weekend.  I became interested in craft beer when I turned 21 -- back in 2000 -- and was working as a server at Boscos Brew Pub in Nashville, TN.  I remember one of the Nashville homebrew clubs meeting there regularly and thinking to myself, "these guys are nuts...you must have to invest in thousands of dollars worth of equipment to make decent beer at home!"  Obviously, I was wrong!

Prior to going to law school, I was a working guitar player in Nashville.  I did this for about eight years, recording and touring pretty regularly, but not with anyone particularly notable.  After so many years of making peanuts and having to work odd jobs to support my music habit, I decided to go back to school.  Other than having to deal with such an awful job market right now, going back to school was the best thing I ever did, aside from marrying my wonderful wife.   ;)  I still play guitar quite a bit.  In fact, I just recorded some tracks for my brothers' (two of 'em) forthcoming album a few weeks ago.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:56:03 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »
I was a one day Jeopardy! Champion last year (2008) and got to talk about homebrewing with Alex. The next day I talked about skydiving and then promptly lost. Must be the reason I don't throw myself from airplanes anymore!

Instantly, the Cheers episode when Cliff went on Jeopardy pops into my head...you didn't answer final Jeopardy with "3 people who haven't been in my kitchen" did you?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »
Instantly, the Cheers episode when Cliff went on Jeopardy pops into my head...you didn't answer final Jeopardy with "3 people who haven't been in my kitchen" did you?

That was my plan if I didn't know the answer! (But I knew the answers)

Hell, the first day the Final Jeopardy category popped up as Science Fiction. It was really, really, really hard for me not to bet it all and truly pull a Cliffy.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:36:19 pm »
My name is Corky Stewart, I live in Carlsbad NM.  I started brewing with 1 can of pre-hopped extract, 2 pounds of corn sugar and the crappy little yeast pack on top of the extract can back in 1993.  I did 3 of those batches and then went to extract and steeped grains for 2 years.  Then I started all grain with a ZapPap, and in 2000 a friend built my current system (more or less) so I could do 10 gallon all grain batches.  
For what it's worth I'll be 53 soon, been married to the same woman for 29 years and have a 23 year old daughter who loves my homebrew and 25 year old son who doesn't drink beer except a sour pumpkin beer a friend gave me.

Here's a link to some of my brewing gear.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65/rocdoc1/my%20beer%20stuff/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:38:07 pm by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 01:14:19 pm »
My name is Monty and I am 50 years old with seven children.  Not all of them are by me and only two live with us now.  I am an electrical engineer that specializes in high-power, high-voltage systems such as multi-megawatt microwave transmitters.  For the past year, I've been on a long-term assignment at the US Army Kwajalein Atoll (USAKA) here in the Marshall Islands.  Not too many miles away is Bikini Atoll where they open-air tested atomic bombs in the 40's and 50's.  Luckily there was little fallout that came this way so I don't glow in the dark.  When I am not brewing I like to sail and deep-sea fish.  Kwajalein Atoll is the largest lagoon in the world so outdoor watersports here are awesome.  I've only been a homebrewer since December 28th 2008.  Since then I've brewed 24 batches.  Just when I think that I've become decent at it, a batch will surprise me.  I've been a member of other internet homebrew forums but this one is by far the best.  I already feel that I've made friends here. 

Oh yes, there are no privately-owned vehicles here.  I ride a bike everywhere and get wet when it rains (which is often).
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 01:21:57 pm »
My name’s Paul, I’m 31 and I manage investment capital for ‘ultra high net worth’ families.  Little over 5 years ago, I married my college sweetheart I met while at University of Florida (Go Gators), and have no kids, though most people would say we treat our 2 four legged furry guys as kids.  My bloodline is German/Czech, so I’m quite anal about whatever I’m doing, and yes, I am apparently distantly related to that other Blatz beer, though I can assure you the Blatz beer made at my house is much better.  We’ve been living in South Florida since ’99 and its pretty much home now.

I’ve been brewing for 4- 5 years, did 3 or 4 extracts, and then moved to all grain once I dropped my brew partner – I never wanted to do extract, and he lost interest after the second batch...  Within 5 batches, I moved up to 12gals per batch with small exception for a pilot recipe or my big series every December (Barleywine, Russian Imperial, and a ‘guest’ brew) for which I do 6 gals.  I’m doing batch 99 next weekend (Baltic Porter) and will follow that with an all Centennial IPA to commemorate batch 100. I brew about every 3-4 weeks.  I think I have 17 5gal kegs and 4 3gals, and the 17s are always occupied.

Favorite styles are American and German based, but if I had to nail it to 5: IPA, Porter, Dortmunder, Maerzen, and RIS,  though I like a lot of styles in that space.  Also, am a Certified BJCP judge. 

I like to cook, grill, read, run, Crossfit, and just hang with the dogs.  Best nights of my life are when we take the dogs for a walk around the lake, then come home and sit out back, grill some food, listen to some tunes and enjoy some pints. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »
...University of Florida (Go Gators)...
+1
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 01:32:54 pm »
My name is Jim.  I'm 46, and live in Parma, Ohio (a suburb of Cleveland) with my wife of 25 years.  I'm  a senior project manager for an environmental construction and remediation contracting company www.emsonsite.com.  I mainly deal with project safety and environmental compliance and inside project management.  Our son (23) is my assistant brewer, recently graduated from college, lives at home, and works for the same company I do as a field project assistant/technician.  Our daughter (21) will finish her undergraduate degree this coming May, then continue to graduate school. 

I've been brewing just over two years. I did a few extract batches, then switched to all grain.  I am now set up for 10-gallon batches, have a temperature controlled fridge for fermenting and lagering, and have four faucets on a separate serving fridge.  I'm a member of our local brewing club, the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers ("SNOBs") http://www.beersnobs.org/  I brew all sorts of styles, but especially enjoy brewing German styles for the "OktoBEERfest!" I hold at my house each year.  My latest brewing milestone is that I've begun buying base malt by the sack.

And, despite my best efforts to be a fairly rational person, I remain a Browns fan.... ??? 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:09 pm »
I’m Fred Bonjour, 59, married for 37 years, live in Troy Michigan, have two boys and a girl who is getting married on October 16th 2010 and I’m brewing the beer for the reception.  Going to be fun.  I have 5 grandkids and they are a blast, from pre-crawl thru 5 years.  

Brewing wise I’m somewhat of a newcomer. My first batch was brewed Jan 1st 2002.  Christmas 2001 my son gave me a Mr. Beer brewing kit and I have never looked back. My first brew was a kicked up Mr. Beer Octoberfest, brewed with the aid of Charlie’s book, Joy of Homebrewing, ProMash and a couple pounds of DME.  Along the way I’ve developed a love affair with all things beer (especially big beers, anything under 1.100 is a ‘session’ beer). Past President of C.R.A.F.T. (Clinton River Association of Fermenting Trendsetters), a founding member of SNOBS (Society of North Oakland Brewers) and a Michigan Brewers Guild Enthusiast Member.  I’m an AHA member and an EvangAle-ist, BJCP judge and an Assistant Education Director of the BJCP,  I teach BJCP Exam Prep/ Beer Appreciation courses, administer BJCP exams and assist with local How-to-Brew classes.  

The Internet is a great thing, but there is also a lot of misinformation out there, especially in the form of recipes.  To help with this I searched the Internet for award winning recipes and founded BeerDuJour.com as a place to house them.  At the time it was, to my knowledge, the only location where you could find proven recipes (way to go AHA for hosting NHC award winners).  Prior to Jamil’s “Brewing Classic Styles” I was publishing his recipes from his “The Brewing Network” shows.  I’m also working on some on-line training for the BJCP that will be coming out around the NHC.  The bottom line is that I love helping others (and ‘occasionally brewing rather large beers) so it’s graet to be involved early with this awesome forum.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:28 pm »
My name is Chad, I'm 34 and am married with two kids (daughter 8, son 4).  I work as a network architect for the financial arm of one of the largest energy companies in the world and deal specifically with the networks for trading exchanges and commodity tradefloors across north america. 

I began brewing about 4 years ago, and to be honest I am a bit of a lazy brewer in that after eventually getting a setup and system I liked I never moved up.  I still brew extract and steeped grain batches, and have probably made between 45-50 batches using the process.  Except for my first 3 months I have never had a problem with my process so I have not moved to all grain.  I love the lighter side of belgium beers and also the bavarian inspired wheat beers of germany.  I do like the triples and DTs as well but dont drink them near as much as the wits and saisons and heffes.  Also make mead and wine, my kids help me brew beer, my wife makes wine with me. 

Love to cook, have 3 grills and 2 smokers.  I like being outdoors and staying busy, I like working with my hands.  I also like big complicated puzzles and working through nuances of complicated issues.  I dont like public speaking crowds, but am better than I used to be about it.  Aside from brewing, my favorites times are being in the garden or on a pasture or woods or fishing. 

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
Hello, my name is Bill.

I am an alcoholic.....

I really dont want to share more than that cause no doubt many home-brewers are ambiguously gay, stalking, rapist types.

J/K ...the sick sense of humor goes with the alcoholism.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »
My name is Jeff,  and I haven't brewed in 7 days...

I am 57, a retired engineer, who likes to travel, hike, and seek out beer.  We have been married for 29 years, no kids, and my wife is a retired teacher.  She is also my co-brewer.

Started this obsession Oct, 1992 with a kit, soon moved to partial mashes, mashes in a bucket, then a Gott cooler.  The kettles kept getting larger.  Now I have a 3 half barrel 3 burner pico(TM) system.

Styles that we make are British session beers, Belgian beers including sours, American hop driven beers, and German lagers.  I am really brewing more lagers now, as I have more time.  Smoked beers have become a passion, and this week has seen 12 lbs of grain get smoked a couple of different woods.  More variables to play around with.

This has been an educational hobby, but I still have much to learn.   The freinds that we have made is bonus from this hobby, as there are so many great people willing to share knowledge.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline matthew

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »
OK.....I'm Matthew, 48, and I started brewing  in 1984,M&F HME and too much sugar but I MADE MY OWN
BEER!!! Couldnt belive it, been hooked ever since. Started using grains in th late 80s(bought Dave Line's and
Byrum Burch's books) and in 88 sighed up with th AHA and got 5 mags too( I have one mag left,it was the AHAs
10 year anniversary that year, my how things change)
all of which help me to slowly go all grain in 95 or so.Wished I had stayed with th AHA, oh well.
I was a guitar player from th age of 12 and started in bars in 83 till 2000 or so. Mostly worked in groc.stores
since I was 15 and played th bars at night.Used to buy Premier MES buy th case at cost + 5%, the old Blue
Ribbon malt then they change to Premier.Neither job made me that much money, oh well.
In 1986 I was diagnosed with Diabetes and it slowed me down as far as brewing goes so I never really went to far
to fast so I'm still green-newbe when it comes to alot of things but mostly I just brewed less quantity and still went for
th quality, it has caught up with me and I dont brew much at all anymore but I still love the hobby even if I'm just talkin
about it,oh well.
I shoot and tinker with guns and hunt a bit, built model aircraft(prop-Warbirds), "but mostly I just watch TV".
That's 'bout it for me   NEXT!!

Matthew
Not much esle to say- really glad to be hear
I forgot, I have a big white cat named K-Man
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:55:05 pm by matthew »
Well it hurts down here on Earth lord
It hurts down here on Earth
It hurts down here cause we're running out of beer
But we're all gonna die someday

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »
Hi, Mike T checking in.  57 (birthday in July so Denny you are still the old fart), 4 kids 19-29, no grandkids yet, 2 cats, 1 dog(brew assistant Pepper).  Wife, Juliana started me in 1995 with a Mr Beer,"Here, YOU can make your own BEER!"  What a doll!  Ag since 2001, 10 gal batches with keggle & Igloo w/ Phil Bottom. Do all styles, but like Amer Pales, Porters, & Barleywines.  My lawnmower beer is a SN Celebration Clone.  Keg mostly here. Have a Frigidare kegerator that I got new on a steal.

Founding member of WHALES (Woodbridge NJ), Currently in SC and a member of the Savannah Brewers League.  We just started a club in Bluffton, SC, Lowcountry MALTS.  4 BOS's in comps.  BJCP Reconized, & currently teaching BJCP for a July exam.  Love beer, but have a passion for meads.

The obession is paid for by being a Coordinator for a Major Supplimental Insurance.  In a prior life, I sold automated valves to the chemical & pharmeceutical industry.  Love to golf, I live on a golf course.

Just remember, it's cheap to get in this hobby, but expensive to get out.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC