Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 32836 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »
Spoken like a try fly sparger.  ::)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2009, 12:25:10 pm »
That's me and swmbo. We're at a cool, but overpriced beer bar in Portland called the Green Dragon (now owned by Rogue).

Further information about me: I'm half-Persian, which might make me the only middle-eastern person on this forum (the most common Persian fermented beverage is salty carbonated yogurt  ???). I grew up in the easy bay area (near Oakland and Berkeley) and I am in my third and final year of law school in Portland, OR. I plan on moving back to the bay area in June, and maybe New York after that (taking both the NY and CA bar exams). I have spent considerable time in Europe, both traveling and studying abroad. I spent 7 months in Nice, France; 4 months in London; 3 months in Siena, Italy; and 3 months in Santander, Spain. I have been to Europe 14 times and hope to some day move there permanently (perhaps doing estate planning work for an American expatriate community).

My favorite beers are Dubbels, Tripels, Big Dark Belgians, and English/American pale ales and IPA's - particularly those on the darker side of the style. I tend to brew a lot of just about every style of ale (SWMBO loves dark English ales), making about every fourth batch an "experiment" of some kind.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2009, 12:54:31 pm »
Hey Skyler, do you know more of Persian cooking?

Persian cooking is indeed wonderful.

They would never use a crock pot in Persian cooking.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2009, 01:35:54 pm »
Todd here and I will be sacrificing a virgin blue cooler soon to the brewing gods. I think it will be a cream ale. Have three children 18, 17 and 12. The 12 wants to inherit the brewing empire and is currently the head bottler. Currently working to many hours and it is cutting into my brewing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2009, 01:39:04 pm »
Todd, it sucks when real life interferes with beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »

I can make really good kashk eh bademjoon (fried eggplant with tangy yogurt sauce), and I know how to make kebab, but that's about it. Khoreshes (Persian stews), which are the highest culinary art in Persian cuisine, are very time-consuming and I have never attempted to make any.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:58 pm »
Sounds awesome. Maybe you wouldn't mind posting in the cooking section.

I have been researching Uzbek food lately. I know that is Turkic in origin but seems like there are a lot of Persian influences in that cooking.

I really love the Persian rice dishes, with he use of dried fruits and stuff.

Well anyways, good have ya on the forum.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline richt

• Cellarman
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2009, 10:12:54 am »
Name's Rich, I live in Rochester, MN.  I'm 31, married for 7 years to my best friend, dad to 4.5 and 1.5 year old boys, master of a black lab named Porter, got a cat, 2 turtles and some fish.  I teach US History and World Geography to 7th and 8th graders, which is why I drink.  In my free time I'm outside hiking and walking, canoeing, fishing, camping, backpacking, messing around, and growing vegetables and hops.

I've been brewing 7 years thanks to a starter kit as a wedding gift, the last 3 years I've been much more serious about it, upgrading to 10 gallon batches and bumping against the legal limit.  Started kegging over a year ago, finally went ag 3 batches ago.  Entered my first comp at the end of the summer and got a 2nd, so I'm starting to think about entering some more.  I help run my local club too (link is in my sig).
On Tap: IPA, Amber, Emma's Brown, Barleywine
Fermenting/Conditioning: Sour project, Bourbon barrel Barleywine, Kit IPA
http://www.razebrewing.com
http://adventuresinhomebrew.blogspot.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2009, 10:33:32 am »
master of a black lab named Porter

black labs named Porter are the best  ;D ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2009, 12:29:07 pm »
My real name is Kai Troester and I like yellow beer ;)

I’m an 34 year old “off the boat” German living in Massachusetts. I’m married and have 2 kids. One is 5 and the other one is 3. They are a lot of work and a lot of joy at the same time.

To make money I design micro processors at a large chip company (no, not that one, the other one: AMD) although I love my job I like to balance that with a more hands-on hobby.

I started brewing in 2005 after seeing Alton Brown’s good Eats show. Needless to say I quickly became hooked and started to see brewing as a way to connect with my German heritage. Having always had a geeky nature I quickly discovered the scientific and technical part. Despite what you may think, I’m actually a fairly relaxed brewer. Mostly because I think I figured out how to control my beer and not the other way around. But there are still occasions where the beer sets the schedule but I’m working on minimizing them.

When I came here first, my friends felt that Kai is to short of a name and it must be short for Kaiser, hence screen name that I use in brewing related forums.

Kai

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2009, 02:25:28 pm »

Persian cooking is indeed wonderful.

They would never use a crock pot in Persian cooking.

http://www.ifood.tv/network/iranian_crock_pot/recipes  ::)

It was probably electric stove tops you were thinking of.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »
got a cat, 2 turtles and some fish.

I like turtles.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:21 am »
Ric Cunningham here. Currently live in Niagara Falls NY. I have been here for 8 years, a really long time when you hear the I have relocated 35 times in my 43 years on this planet. Army brat then Navy for 13 years. Currently employed as a field service rep for a Pharmaceutical equipment manufacturing company. I travel the globe for work but I really am looking for the best hand crafted beverages around. I am married (20 years) with 2 kids; 16 and 18. One dog, 2 birds and several billion yeasty beasties. I have been brewing since 1996. Went AG in 2003. I have brewed almost all the BJCP ale styles. I can do several styles blindfolded (no hydrometer or thermometer), with one hand tied behind my back. I brew with a blue cooler, copper manifold mash tun and a modified Firestone keg. I am BJCP certified and a past competition organizer for Amber Waves of Grain, Western New York Homebrew competition. I have numerous awards in my collection including two 1st BOS and one 2nd BOS. I have a strong interest in historical brewing, ingredients, equipment, processes and such. I make beer, mead, cider and wine. I keg most beers for service but I bottle certain styles for long storage or gift giving. My favorite brewing gadgets are my Hopstopper and my Beer gun. I am somewhat of a fixture in the Niagara region for beer demonstrations and classes. Favorite quote "if you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer" - Me.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline stevej

• 1st Kit
    • State of Franklin Homebrewers
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2009, 02:01:22 pm »
Damn ... after reading every post in the 6 pages of this thread I thought I'd see someone older than me. No such luck.

Steve
The body is 60 and is starting to feel it, but the mind is maybe mid-30s or so
Married 33 years to my best friend
2 kids 31 and 28 (and raising the 7 and 10 yr old daughters of my oldest ... don't ask)
systems analyst in IT organization of a specialty chemical company in East Tennessee

brewing since 95, all grain since 97
2-tier sanke keg setup for 11 years, recently sold and built 5 gallon brewladder system (BLUE COOLER HLT & BLUE COOLER MASH TUN!!!), 10 g SS pot, modified stepladder for gravity brewing at campouts. 20 corny kegs, 10+ carboys, homebuilt walk-in cooler.

13 yr member, past 5 time president, webmaster, competition director of the State of Franklin Homebrewers in East Tennessee
former aha board of advisors (now governing committee) member
former aha homebrewer of the year (sheer luck, tho I have made a few good beers)
bjcp judge

Grew up in Michigan, spent some time in the Navy during Vietnam, then spent a couple of years logging about 15,000 miles on my thumb seeing the interior of this great country. Many different jobs ... tv/radio technician, bar equip service, postal worker, taxi driver, machinist, forklift operator, construction worker, cabinetmaker/furniture maker, pipe organ builder, then college at 39 to become a computer geek.
Steve Jones
State of Franklin Homebrewers
Johnson City, TN

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:55 pm »
You forgot to mention ABC guru . .  :D
Just brew it...