Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 12094 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 06:00:26 AM »
dhacker stands for Dave Hacker . . just turned a half century. I live in a podunk town in West TN. I figure I someday will get a letter in the mail telling me I’m an heir and just inherited the Hacker Pschorr Brewery in Munich. Until then I’ll keep doing what I have been for the last 30 years . . a broadcast engineer, designing, building, and maintaining a plethora of radio stations in this end of the world. Been married to my beautiful wife for 29 years and have 2 children, girl and boy 23 & 21 respectively. Brewing since 2001, AG for probably the last 6 years. Built my system and controller pretty much from scratch, and continue to refine and tweak it to this day. My other hobbies are pro sound and pyrotechnics/ professional grade fireworks. I also enjoy writing for no particular reason. I don’t feel 50 physically and from a maturity standpoint, I’d say I’m somewhere in the 11ish range. A Rottweiler and 5 cats (2 in 3 out) round out the family.

Glad to be part of this community! dh
Just brew it...

Offline dbgmoi

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
I'm Dave and I'm starting my first lager (ok pilsener) in a few hours. I live in SF, CA and would love to know if there's an SF homebrew club - i read the list but its all Berkeley and elsewhere in the Bay Area.

23 and work in audio visual at the moment - using my suit and tie 9-5 to pay my way through college. About a year left and i'll be officially higher educated. I brew in the backyard in three converted kegs (HLT, tun, kettle) with one pump and a heck of a lot of QDs.

Stoked for all of the info I'm sure to get on the forum - thanks to everyone!

Offline troy4500

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Troy, and I am 29 years old. I live in Stillwater MN, and have been brewing for 2 years.  Married almost 8 years, have 3 kids, 12, 6, and 4.  I have been at the same job for 15years now (more than half my life :o), I manage a bike shop (pedal not motors). 

Brewing and cycling are my main hobbies.  I also belong to the St. Croix River Valley Homebrewers club and I am an AHA member.

Nice to see alot of familar faces here.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
hi, i'm dan my brother and i own a convenience store/repair shop in thedford nebr.i am an ASE certified mechanic and i'm 51.have been brewing for 6 years, most of them all grain.married for 32 years and have 2 kids, well they aren't kids anymore oldest is 29 and next in line is 26.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 06:01:10 AM »
Name is Keith, I just turned 40 in Oct. and I have been brewing beer since 1996 (made some wine and other fermented oddities before that, not sure how long). I lived in PA until I was 23 but now reside in North Alabama (very close to Hunstville) in, what is for me, a hiker's paradise. I own 7 acres of mountain land but the acreage behind my house stretches on up way into Tennessee so I can literally go hiking out my back door any time I want - which for me is awesome except when I get chiggers. Chiggers suck.

I am a Graphic Designer by trade and am currently gainfully un-employed, though I am trying to start up a small business venture. I have a great wife, two very good boys (11 and 7) 2 dogs (a male Great Dane and female Mix), a truck, a motorcycle and a keggerator. What else would one need?  8)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:26:20 AM by majorvices »
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

brewboy

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
Certainly nothing wrong with being "Gainfully" unemployed.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »

I took a paid buy out to leave my job - I had worked there for 15 years and got a little over 18 months pay to quit. I am currently doing some freelance, but mostly I am doing some work around the house and spending a lot more time with my kids.

My wife is a contractor for NASA and makes decent money so we figured, what the hell. A chance like this only comes up once in a lifetime (if that) and it certainly makes life easier having someone home with the kids.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 06:33:22 AM »

I took a paid buy out to leave my job - I had worked there for 15 years and got a little over 18 months pay to quit. I am currently doing some freelance, but mostly I am doing some work around the house and spending a lot more time with my kids.

My wife is a contractor for NASA and makes decent money so we figured, what the hell. A chance like this only comes up once in a lifetime (if that) and it certainly makes life easier having someone home with the kids.

Good for you man! I bet you're enjoying the time with your kids! Soak it up! I can't wait to have a couple myself.
Travis R.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »
  Name's Mark but family calls me Brother. Just turned 50 last week. Married with 2 daughters, 1 son and 3 grandsons. I grew up in a farming family in upstate SC and even though that's not how I make my living now I still enjoy dragging a plow around on occasion. To me there's not much that's more relaxing than bush hogging or cutting hay. I hated it when I "had" to do it. Go figure.

I have more hobbies than I have time. I enjoy gardening, preserving what I grow, fishing, hunting, cooking and most evenings I can be found with an old guitar sitting on my lap. I enjoy bluegrass and go to a lot of festivals. I play OK myself, I think, and there are a couple of fiddle tunes I can just plain skin the bark off of. Doc Watson, Jack Lawrence and Steve Kaufman are my heroes.

Reading and studying history when I have time.

We're just kind of laid back here. The Ms. & I like to take day trips to the mountains and along the Blueridge parkway just to see what we can find. Some days consist of sitting in the shade with a few friends playing music and drinking beer while telling every lie we can think of just waiting for a big ol' pork butt to finish smoking. Exciting, Huh?

Lynyrd Skynyrd - greatest band ever.

I started brewing beer in 1987 with a mail order kit as a present from the Ms. and have been re-inventing the wheel every since. I was making fruit wine before then and still make a couple of wine batches a year. I only drink a bottle or two of wine myself and give the rest away as presents; I just enjoy making it.

Atlanta Braves and the Carolina Panthers.
NHRA - Warren Johnson and Angelle Sampey.
NASCAR has gone to HELL since the 3 car is not running the operation anymore. I could less anymore. COT equals WTF.

I have been accused of concocting a tall-tale on occasion. My court appointed psychiatrist says to not let things people say bother me. ;D

I just try to find humor in everybody and everything. It's there if you look just right.

Tubercle - Peace out!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:08:47 AM by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
   I just try to find humor in everybody and everything. It's there if you look just right.

That's an attitude that needs to be more widely embraced.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

A-fing-men... I want to strangle the people who can't see its all just a joke!  ;D
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »
@ dbeechum....

did i see you in the last zymurgy?  win an award or two?
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 01:47:29 PM »
@ dbeechum....

I'm always winning awards for "Best Dressed Drew" :)

Nah, I wrote the Dark Lager article in this last Zymurgy.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
@ dbeechum....

I'm always winning awards for "Best Dressed Drew" :)

Nah, I wrote the Dark Lager article in this last Zymurgy.

gotcha.  knew the name was familiar.  greetz!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Poca-hell-hole, Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »

You both rock!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.