Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 14507 times)

Offline stevej

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • State of Franklin Homebrewers
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »
On the contrary hack ... still a beginner with ABC. 3 batches of my own, and sampling maybe 10 others is just the beginning. I saw you were getting ready to do a couple more batches ... I'm doing one next week.
Steve Jones
State of Franklin Homebrewers
Johnson City, TN

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
Too Much Coffee Man!! Nice.
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Hi my name is Dave and am a CNC machine operator and been married for 17 years. I have been brewing for 4 years and been all grain brewing for 3 years now. I use a blue cooler and 15 gallon keggles on my 3 tier system, so I can do 10 gallon batches. I joined a homebrew club last March (http://thebeerbunker.com/mash) and have learned alot since joining.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
CNC, eh? What do you do with it? Router, machine, plasma / laser cut? I dable in the art as well. Plasma cut, with a table from Advance Cutting, and a Hypertherm torch. We can burn sheets of steel as big as  5x10 foot, up to 5/8 thick. Fun stuff.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »
Buncha kids – OK I’m just jealous.
I’m Gary (my grandfather was Chauncey), and I just turned 68. I’m still gainfully employed as a software engineer in the computer industry (non-stop since 1960), but that’s just because I didn’t plan well for the future. And who knew I’d still be alive after all the alcohol I’ve consumed. I began brewing in 1984, and with some breaks in between, still making the good stuff.
Two kids 44 (today) and 40, both grown and gone. No grandkids.
My other passion is music. Started on piano very early and worked my way through accordion (no laughs), guitar, flute, bass, electric guitar, various bagpipes and whistles, violin and now cello. Musical tastes are pretty much anything but rap and hip hop.
Favorite guitarist is Joe Bonamassa – been a member of his street team since day one. Favorite violinist is Gil Shaham.  Bapipes and flutes: Davy Spillane. Cello: Yo-Yo Ma and the band Apocalyptica.
There you have it. Anyone else telling the story would likely point out that I appear to be a hopeless drunk, but it seems to play well on me.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
They didn't have computer software in 1960!!!!

Cool book BTW!!!  :D

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
They didn't have computer software in 1960!!!!

Cool book BTW!!!  :D
Yes they did. I wrote my first program in 1956 on the Burroughs E-101. Glad you like the book.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Come on. Rap aint all that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaonSDPw7Y

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
I rest my case.

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
So I just finish reading through all the pages of this post.  There is quite a diverse group here.  It was quite interesting to read about everyone's live adventures.

My name is Tom.  I have been with my wife Teri for 10 years.  We are both 51.  We met while we were both members of a homebrew club in San Jose.  Between us, we have 4 children and 3 grandsons. We moved to Oregon four years ago and are in the country about 16 miles outside of Eugene.  Being in the heart of the Willamette Valley AVA with lots of vineyards around us, we planted a small 320 vine vineyard two years ago.  This next year should be our first harvest.

Next year I will be celebrating my 30th year of homebrewing!  I started in 1980 with extract brewing.  By 1984 I had moved to all grain brewing.  I don't know how many batches I have brewed as I never kept records of the brews up until the time that I joined a homebrew club in 1997.  My estimate is somewhere at 300 batches.

Over the years we have collected enough pieces of brewing equipment that we can brew 2 batches of beer in parallel.  On most brewdays, I will brew one batch and my wife will brew another other.  She has really come along over the years and has become quite a good brewer.  She has been doing about 7 batches a year.  Early next year, she and another lady will be doing a Teach a Girl to Brew day in Eugene.

My other hobbies are coffee roasting, meat curing and smoking, cheese making, and wine making.

Cheers,
Tom

Edit:  I forgot to add for my day job, I design (Electrical Engineer)  In-flight Entertainment equipment for business class jets, things like monitors, dvd players, moving maps.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:04:50 PM by tfries »
Cascade Brewers Society

Offline traveler744

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
Hi all! 
 Joined today. Live in Utah. Heavy earthmover equipment repair shop foreman. 56,  I own two motorcycles that is my "nerve medicine" in good weather. ;)
 Only been brewing since 04. Am kegging.   Just did my first all grain 10 days ago. It's in a carboy ageing now. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
 I have a 10 gallon converted cooler mash tun. 12 gallon copper brew kettle. (old candy kettle) That I heat with natural gas in my unattached shop/garage.
 I have done maybe 40 batches of extract, partial mash brews. Decided it's time to learn more about the craft. I have several carboys of wine, ageing now too. Some apple that is 5 weeks old now, in secondary.  Strawberry in primary as of this morning. And same blackberries in my deep freeze to get going soon.  A new conical fermenter is in route from supplier. Can't wait to get that going. Hope to learn to harvest yeast and not have to rack to secondary. I am here to learn. And maybe contribute a little as we go along.
 My friends call me Chuck.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:28 PM »
  What part of Utah you live in? I will be liing near there soon, and need o find a good LHBS.

Offline traveler744

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
I'm in Rural northeastern Utah.   120 miles east of Salt Lake City, on US 40.      What brings you to Utah?     I'm a native born, Utahn. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
I'll actually be living in Pocatello, Idaho. Wife is from there.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
I'm in Rural northeastern Utah.   120 miles east of Salt Lake City, on US 40.      What brings you to Utah?     I'm a native born, Utahn. 
Vernal -- Duchesne area, eh? My great-grandparents lived out there in the 1920s before heading back to Cedar Fort. I suspect there's no brew shops out there.

The Beer Nut in SLC is supposed to be good Weaz. I had a few friends that brewed back in the early 90's when I lived there and they got all their stuff there.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.