Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid Yeast by Mail Now?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Liquid Yeast by Mail Now?
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »
I would like to order some saison and hefe yeast from Northern Brewer. It's high 70s low eighties both there and here this week. I would buy a couple ice packs. What do you think? Btw I don't want any of the dry options that are available.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Liquid Yeast by Mail Now?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:23 am »
I've been using morebeer.com for yeast, they tend to ship faster than Northern Brewer. I'm in their one transit day zone though, YMMV as you're in the 2 day zone.

https://www.morebeer.com/content/shipping_policy
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:23:04 am »
Thanks Phil. Anybody in the Northeast know a more local supplier. I just won't have a chance to get to my local pubs which isn't as L as I would like.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:18:42 am »
You are about 30 minutes away from both Homebrew Emporium in West Boylston and NFG home Brew in Leominster.  In fairness, I've never been to either even though I've tried to get to NFG when it is open to check it out.  Their hours are kind of limited.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:24:42 am »
I just ordered yeast from northern brewer.  It shipped last night.  I did the same think last year when temps were in the 70-80 mark.   No issues with the yeast. 

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:10 am »
Generally I prefer LHBS even if I have to order but my favorite saison strain (Blaugies) was unavailable until I recently learned that a new yeast co Imperial is supposedly running it (Rustic) so I opted for MoreBeer since LHBS isn't carrying Imperial.  Air ship/ice pack/whatever, you are rolling the dice.  I figured since it was a saison strain tolerant to high temps it would probably be fine.  In any event, I was surprised that Imperial uses a mini can that is 5OZ and much larger than a smack pack/more thermal mass than the others.  MoreBeer also sent it in a small box with air filled packs (insulation) and despite being shipped in high temps the can was very cool to touch. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:13 am »
Pete, I'm in a similar boat here. The closest LHBS that sells liquid yeast to me is open short hours and I'm not often able to get there around my work/family schedule. Plus, they only sell White Labs and I use a lot of Wyeast strains. If I want liquid yeast I generally have to order by mail.

Ever since MoreBeer opened their PA warehouse, they're the only place I buy liquid yeast from. I will spring for the ice pack from spring through fall. Honestly, if you use it within a week or two and be sure to make a starter you should be fine. I've had more performance issues with yeast that froze during shipment in the winter than those that got a little warm in the summer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:16 am »
if you make a starter it really shouldn't matter than much. true, a couple days at higher than fridge temps will accelerate the yeasts decline but with ice packs and a starter it should still be fine. remember, horseshoes, Hand grenades, Thermo-nuclear warfare, and yeast pitch numbers... close counts.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:42:20 am »
I wouldn't worry about 70-80. Yeast hang out in the wild in warmer temperatures.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:19 am »
I wouldn't worry about 70-80. Yeast hang out in the wild in warmer temperatures.

My concern has always been the uncooled back of the truck baking in the sun than the outside air temps.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

My concern has always been the uncooled back of the truck baking in the sun than the outside air temps.
I work with a company that does cargo tracking (temperatures, locations, etc). Temps in the back of trailers can easily exceed 100 degrees. Some with translucent roof material get significantly warmer on sunny days going down I-10 across Nevada.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:20 pm »

I work with a company that does cargo tracking (temperatures, locations, etc). Temps in the back of trailers can easily exceed 100 degrees. Some with translucent roof material get significantly warmer on sunny days going down I-10 across Nevada.

Poor little yeasties. Its like leaving a kid locked in the car on a hot day.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:42:50 pm »
Both yeasts strains have dry alternatives. I've used dry strains of both with great results.

BTW...  EVERYBODY ships faster than N Brewer. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:14:07 pm »
You are about 30 minutes away from both Homebrew Emporium in West Boylston and NFG home Brew in Leominster.  In fairness, I've never been to either even though I've tried to get to NFG when it is open to check it out.  Their hours are kind of limited.
They are both actually 45 minutes so 1 1/2 hours, make it two with time spent in store. I go to either one when I have things to do that bring me in their direction but too long for a special trip. I do try to really stock up when I go to give them the business.Btw NFG is OK but sucky hours. West Boylston is solid.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 06:18:05 pm »
Both yeasts strains have dry alternatives. I've used dry strains of both with great results.

BTW...  EVERYBODY ships faster than N Brewer. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm glad you say that, it seems like that to me too. I like a lot else about them but so many businesses ship the same or next day but not them.