Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experience with Saflager 34/70?  (Read 20350 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Experience with Saflager 34/70?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 11:35:02 am »
It's a very forgiving lager strain and cleanly ferments even in the sixties. It is, however, bland as far as lager strains go. It works well for those hoppier craft lagers where the nuances of other strains might be lost or even undesirable.
Agreed. I've used it on "IPLs" before and have really liked the outcome.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
It's a very forgiving lager strain and cleanly ferments even in the sixties. It is, however, bland as far as lager strains go. It works well for those hoppier craft lagers where the nuances of other strains might be lost or even undesirable.

I don't know if I've ever really thought of it as bland, but I get where you're coming from. It is quite neutral, with very low sulfur production. W34/70 is the US-05 of lager strains.

I prefer WY2278 for hoppy lagers and WY2633 for malty lagers, but 34/70 will do a fine job for any lager (and most ales).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 08:22:42 am »
I am a beginner lager brewer with about 7 or so batches under my belt. I have used 34/70 for all of them with very good results. It is very easy to use, predictable, and very forgiving as others here have mentioned. I think it is the perfect strain for a first attempt. 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 08:39:41 am »
A friend of mine swears WLP833 is the secret to the finest lagers and I totally believe him, as they're great.

Now today I just read on Brulosophy.com that people can't taste the difference between WLP833 and W-34/70.  So there's that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 10:03:54 am »
A friend of mine swears WLP833 is the secret to the finest lagers and I totally believe him, as they're great.

Now today I just read on Brulosophy.com that people can't taste the difference between WLP833 and W-34/70.  So there's that.

There's a lot less variation between lager yeasts than there is in ale yeast.  Doesn't really surprise me that people have a hard time telling them apart.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:58 am »
There's a lot less variation between lager yeasts than there is in ale yeast.  Doesn't really surprise me that people have a hard time telling them apart.

I think you're right.  Actually a lot of things fail to surprise me anymore.  The results of virtually all Brulosophy exBmts for example.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:14 am »
Now today I just read on Brulosophy.com that people can't taste the difference between WLP833 and W-34/70.

I guess I need to do a side by side - 833 definitely seems to leave a maltier mouthfeel than 2124 to me. Sort of like the difference between 1056 and 1450. Who knows? I can always be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
Now today I just read on Brulosophy.com that people can't taste the difference between WLP833 and W-34/70.

I guess I need to do a side by side - 833 definitely seems to leave a maltier mouthfeel than 2124 to me. Sort of like the difference between 1056 and 1450. Who knows? I can always be wrong.
I'm thinking more along the lines of just because you have BJCP beside your name doesn't mean you can taste beer. It means you took and passed a test. Plenty of people take and pass the drivers test to get their licenses...we all know how that has worked out for humanity.
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:03 am »

Ditto.  I have several lager yeasts in the refrigerator and if I'm smart (  :o ), I'll use a good 3 or 4 different ones on my next batch.  Might have to ferment in plastic gallon milk jugs though, which could introduce some interesting variables in itself.
Dave

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:39 am »

The difference for me is that the 34/70 yeasts will give a more bitter finish than 833. I had split a 10 gallon batch of Pilsner this year, and while the 833 turned out to be a fine beer,the 34/70 (WLP 830) just vanished.  :D
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 11:33:38 am »

I think we all (including me) fall victim to confirmation bias very easily.  We are told that one yeast is crisper or maltier, and we believe it and actually taste the beer that way.  But until there's a blind triangle, we may very well be fooling ourselves.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 11:44:16 am »

I think we all (including me) fall victim to confirmation bias very easily.  We are told that one yeast is crisper or maltier, and we believe it and actually taste the beer that way.  But until there's a blind triangle, we may very well be fooling ourselves.

Maybe so, Denny. All the better reason to try it out on a split batch for myself.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:46 pm »
Split batch is a great way to go with 10 gallons of lager wort.  I tried S-189 against 34/70 and S-189 is "cleaner" yet than 34/70.  I made a Helles and the S-189 tastes great, but really did not have the shine to the malts that 34/70 seemed to bring out.  Both were quaffable in quantity, however.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"